Too cold for my chicks???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Tylt33, Jul 22, 2010.

1. Tylt33

Tylt33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Chico, California
    I put my chicks out in the coop for the first time tonight. They are almost four weeks old and have a large amount of feathering. I'm just worried that it might be too cold for them, it's 74 degrees right now and tonight's low is 62... what do you think?

My other question is, they're all huddled in the run, they don't seem to know how to use the ladder to get up to the nest boxes... how do I train them, or will they figure it out?

Thanks in advance!

2. pkw

pkw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2010
    North Edwards, CA
    They will probably be okay.

3. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    They'll be fine as long as they're not in a drafty spot. I had mine (coyote got their mom) back outside at 4 weeks old and it was about 10 degrees cooler then what you have. They did great.

You'll have to put them in the coop, probably for a few nights anyhow. You can put some treats on the ladder to try to teach them that it's not a big scary thing and hopefully they'll get the idea. There might be better ways to train them but the pop door on my coop is at ground level so I've never dealt with that problem.

4. Tylt33

Jun 13, 2010
    Chico, California
    I just went and moved them up to the nest boxes/coop portion. Sleeping chickens are soooo easy to move! And pretty adorable to boot.

5. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    If there are only two or three they may be vulnerable, but in a bunch of 6,7 or more they keep very warm as they all snuggle down together,

Sandie

6. Tylt33

Jun 13, 2010
    Chico, California
    Quote:There are nine... they were in a pile when I found them. Cute!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by