Too cold for my meaties?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by max13077, Aug 10, 2008.

1. max13077

max13077 Chillin' With My Peeps

I have 30 cornish roasters that are 4 weeks old today. They went outside this morning for the first time. I'm kind of worried because it's unseasonable cool, 57 degrees right now. I just went out to check on them and they're all hudled together like I would expect. Do you think it's too cold for them outside?

2. willheveland

willheveland Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2008
    southern tier,NY
    Depending on how feathered out they are it may be alittle cool for them.You may want to tarp the 2 sides of prevailing wind and hang a heat lamp just in case they want to get under it.
    You are not too far from me and it's been wet and windy here the past few days.
    Will

Last edited: Aug 10, 2008
  3. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

I have 6 week old cornish x and like wise with low temps. I think its easier on them being on the cool side then over heated. They can huddle for warmth.If you keep a light on 24 hrs a day the just tarp one side to stop the breeze. I placed a tote in with them so they can go in that for "safety or heat" . Good luck!

4. max13077

They are pretty much fully feathered out. I built them a three-sided lean to sort of thing in the pen with a roof, two sides, and the back. The front is open. I put a layer of wood shavings on the bottom of it to try and insulate them from the ground.

Yeah Will, I can't believe how cool and wet it's been lately. Seems like it's muddy and wet all the time. Then when you get a nice day to dry out, it rains the next day.

5. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    They will be fine at those temps as long as they have a dry place to be. If they are outside soaking wet and those temps they may get too chilled.
    The produce a lot of their own body heat and when they are cold they will cuddle together.

6. max13077

I was freaking out cause we had a bad t-storm last night from 2am to about 4. Sucking it up, I went outside a couple of times to check on them. They seemed oblivious to the lightening, thunder, and heavy rain on the roof. They were all curled up napping peacefully.

7. AnthonyT

AnthonyT Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2008
    Franklin, KY
    Its amazing how oblivious they can be to thunderstorms.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by