Too cold for newly arrived ducklings?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by eilis83, Oct 13, 2016.

1. eilis83

eilis83 Out Of The Brooder

Hi all,
    I have an age mixed group of ducklings from 2 weeks-2 days. It's getting to mid 70's to 80 today no breeze. I have setup a secure sunny, with a bit of shade area, for them to play and get fresh air. Would they be alright for a few hours? So far they seem thrilled to be out...

2. dotknott

dotknott Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    Rhode Island
    My Coop
    It's too cold for the 2 day olds definitely, The 2 week olds shouldn't be below 85 in my opinion.

3. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    The older ones will be fine for a short trip outside. Momma ducks take their little ones out swimming, in unheated water, very early on. They aren't nearly as delicate as some would have you believe. Keep an eye on them for signs of chilling, and bring them in if they seem cold.

2 people like this.
  4. eilis83

eilis83 Out Of The Brooder

Hi June,

I put them out for a bit and they are very happy dabbling in the mud and getting some fresh air :) At times they snuggle and nap in a heap and then they're up and moving around and playing. This is my first time with ducks so would you mind telling me what the signs of chilling are?Thank you, June

5. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Hunching up or tightly huddling. Keep the first few trips outside short, and gradually leave them out longer. You'll be amazed at how fast they will feather in when they aren't kept in constantly warm temps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by