1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Too cold for the chickens today??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by tiffanyg2, May 6, 2011.

1. tiffanyg2

tiffanyg2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    SC
    Haha- I let me chickens out to play this morning and the temps dropped down to the 40's last night so it's still kinda cold out~ And they all came running up to the sliding glass door within 5 mins wanting to come back inside!!! [​IMG] Haha I guess I've got them spoiled right now!

[​IMG]

~The Boys being boys~ atleast I'm told they are boys! Hahaha

Last edited: May 6, 2011
  2. ScissorChick

ScissorChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2010
    Under Your bed
    Boys are such show-offs...

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 6, 2011
  3. lebentier

lebentier Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    SoCal
    awww, makes me wish i could keep a couple of roos around. well, maybe not...[​IMG]

4. buffs only

buffs only Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2011
    Conyers Georgia
    I live east of Atlanta and it was 38 Thursday morning, my 32 buff orps were in their coop with the heat lamps on. I was wondering how old the "boys " in the photo were? Mine are almost 5 weeks ( on Sunday ) and I'm not seeing any combs yet, I ordered all hens from McMurray so maybe I got all hens?

Thanks, Buffs Only

5. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    I don't know how to break the news to you...

My folks started their chicks in their living room. Those birds are nearing 1 year old now and haven't been back inside since they were sent to the coop at ~6 weeks but they STILL try to come inside when the door is open. It doesn't matter what temperature it is outside, they just want to come in where the people are. They'll stand on the steps so they can see inside and watch you eating, also. It's a bit creepy when you're eating chicken.

6. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    At 30 degrees F my birds would think it was beach weather--as long as it isn't snowing they are fine with temps down to zero. Heat lamps, we don't use no stinking heat lamps!!

7. ScissorChick

ScissorChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2010
    Under Your bed
    Quote:Stalker chickens!

We're watching you...

Seriously though, that made me laugh. [​IMG]

8. tiffanyg2

Apr 26, 2011
    SC
    Quote:Well they will be 7 weeks this weekend, these pics were from last weekend so they were 6 weeks in the pics, according to when I purchased them they would have hatched around March 19th. Haha see the jokes on me though Because I really can only keep the girls where I live~ I would get myself in a boatload of trouble!! But these boys have won over my heart~ they are so sweet!! So you wanted only girls right? Their combs started showing up at about 5 weeks they were red!! And then the wattles and so forth~ They will certainly make beautiful Roo's I wish there was a way to keep them. Maybe I can tain them to use a litter box??? Haha and just keep them inside!

Good luck on yours!

9. tiffanyg2

Apr 26, 2011
    SC
    Quote:Brrrrr!!! What kind of chickens do you have?

10. tiffanyg2

Apr 26, 2011
    SC
    Quote:[​IMG] I just can't wait for that! Hahaha You know because I hand feed them sometimes, the moment I walk outside with something to eat for myself they all start chasing me around jumping up in the air~ It's really kinda funny. Maybe that's bad parenting but it sure is amusing! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by