Too cold to gather eggs to set?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by urbanagrarian, Nov 29, 2007.

1. urbanagrarian

urbanagrarian Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Massachusetts
    I got a new incubator that I want to test before filling it with too many eggs. I ran it empty yeaterday and it seems OK. It's in the 40's F. here. Is that too cold to gather eggs for setting? The incubator holds 42 eggs. I was thinking of setting about 8 for a test. Does that seem right.

It's a hova-bator, digital thermostat, forced air with auto turner if that makes a difference and I've never hatched before.

Urban Agrarian
    http://urban-agrarian.blogspot.com/

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I'd give it a go. Just gather the eggs a couple times a day so they don't get too cold. I've got the same kind of incubators.

3. urbanagrarian

Feb 4, 2007
    Massachusetts
    Thanks for the quick reply. I don't have roosters, so I need to drive 20 minutes to get the eggs so I can't necessarily get them frequently. Unless I happen onto a warm egg I have to assume it is the same temp as the outdoors and it's in the 40s today. It will only get colder. Is a 45 degree egg doomed?

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

No, it isn't doomed, but allow the eggs to come up to room temp before setting them in the bator.

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I didn't realize you meant you were getting the eggs from someone else. I bet that whoever you're getting them from would save however many you want.

6. urbanagrarian

Feb 4, 2007
    Massachusetts
    Yes they would save them aside and not put them in the fridge, but they have volunteers that collect once a day now, so no chance of frequent gathering. Sounds like it's worth a try though. Right?

7. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I'd give it a try. I'll warn you tho hatching is addictive!

8. urbanagrarian

Feb 4, 2007
    Massachusetts
    Quote:I already know my chickens are adictive. Based on the fact that I decided to give myself an early Christmas present of in incubator, I suspect we all know where this is going.

9. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I don't think you will have a problem either...just let them set as Cyn says to room temp before placing them in the bator.....

10. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Have fun!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by