1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

too cold to hatch?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 6mutts, Jan 18, 2009.

1. 6mutts

6mutts Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2008
    St. Clair, MO
    hi, i have a broody girl who sits on eggs alllllll day. I can never catch her out of the nest to make sure that she is eating and drinking...so that bothers me. But I was wondering if it's even possible for her to hatch eggs in the winter? And would the chicks survive in the cold?

2. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    The mother can take care of them, if she has food water available she is getting off the nest real quick eating, drinking, and pooing(will be about the size a large dog would make and stink real bad) then getting back on the nest.

3. 92caddy

92caddy Egg Lover

May 18, 2007
    Portland, IN
    No its not too cold. I have 4 hens with chicks from 6 weeks old to week olds.........................Im getting ready to set 2 more hens with eggs.............

4. morelcabin

morelcabin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    Will they hatch eggs and take care of the young in below 0 temps? How low have your temps gone?

5. 92caddy

92caddy Egg Lover

May 18, 2007
    Portland, IN
    Yep my girls have been doing a fine job with the chicks. We hit -15 a few days ago, no chicks lost..........

6. morelcabin

Feb 8, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    You're kidding! Is your coop heated? I ask because I have a silkie on eggs in the house right now and would love to put her back in the shed before she gets too used to it in here if it is possible:>)

7. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Quote:Put her back in the shed, been around 0 last couple of days, she will be fine.

8. Shared Acres

Shared Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    Yep, my silkie did fine in the cold with chicks.

I have a broody now that I pull off the nest and put in the coop when I'm feeding treats. She eats them then runs back to her golfballs. (I'm giving her babies when they hatch.)

9. morelcabin

Feb 8, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    Well you know what...she's going back out to the shed...the cold spell is over now and we are about -12C and higher for the next while. We are expecting one really cold day next week, I'll put a lamp over her for that night...and we will see. Never thought it could possibly be done...but I am learning that pigeons hatch all year long here in the wild so it just might work...thanks!

10. 6mutts

6mutts Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2008
    St. Clair, MO
    thanks for all the comments guys! I guys we'll see if they hatch in 20 days now! I have left her three in there from my moms flock(she has a roo, i dont!) It is tooooo cute when they scoot the eggs around and puch them under thier belly! what about when they hatch? I guess I will have to move some things around...set up a little area inside the "coop" for them....that will be a little difficult since I have a tiny chicken trailer kind of coop!
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by