Too cold to incubate?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Echoes, Feb 23, 2009.

1. Echoes

Echoes Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Connecticut
    Ok, so I think these eggs were layed about 4-6 hours ago outside, in the coop, where it is about 30° F out. If I were to take them and start incubating them now would it be too late?

Also, I was wondering if, inside the incubator, it was okay to have the eggs reall close to eachother, like touching or almost touching?

Any information on these subjects would great. And anything you would like to add would be too.

...thanks

2. wadek2008

wadek2008 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2008
    Chapel Hill, NC
    As far as I know, touching is fine, they're that way under the hen naturally.
    I dont know about the freezing...maybe worth a shot? The egg PROBABLY has a lower freezing temp than water and they werent ot there THAT long...

3. CindyS

CindyS Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Geneseo, Illinois
    They may be ok, I would give them a chance.

4. jay1995

jay1995 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    St. Augustine, Florida
    Dont put them right in the bator. From what I was told by other BYCers you sould let them warm up to room temp., wich takes about three days. So be very careful with that. But Goodluck.

5. Echoes

Echoes Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Connecticut
    Alright. Thanks for the replies. I actually already put them in the incubator. So, hopefully everything will still be ok.

6. Cara

Cara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    I've always had the best hatches from the ones that have got really cold. Last year I had 6 eggs from a bantam Sultan that had sat out in the barn for several days over Christmas in 20-30F weather, while we were away. Every one of them hatched.

7. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:It doesn't take them 3 days to warm up to room temperature!!

8. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Let them warm up for about 12-24 hours, and then put them in. Its fine if the eggs touch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by