1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Too cold to keep my rooster alone in coop?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by KCAmelia, Dec 7, 2016.

1. KCAmelia

KCAmelia Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2015
    Hello! I have twelve hens and one rooster (cockerel? 18 months old). I noticed that only five are laying (less light, breed, some molting), so he was overmating them, and their shoulders were getting pretty torn up. They always showed some wear, but when all were laying, it was spread out enough, in my opinion. So, I separated him into an adjacent yard where they share a fence line, so he still protects them from hawks, calls them to scratch, etc. He has his own coop at night, too. But tonight it is going to be less than 15 degrees F. Is it going to be too cold for him to be alone? The coop is not insulated, but there are no drafts and good ventilation. It is 18 sq feet. I can stick him back in with the girls at dark, but that means I'd have to go grab him at daybreak, and even then I'm not sure if he wouldn't try to mate them while the coop light is on (from 5am). Please tell me if you know whether he will be warm enough. And if tonight isn't, what IS too cold for one chicken to roost alone? Thanks so much!!

2. PeepersMama

PeepersMama Overrun With Chickens

He needs other chickens to share body heat with. If you did put him in the coop at night that would be best. Bringing him into the house or garage at night would work, and putting him in his run next to the girls during the day would keep him happy. If you got a few hen saddles for them, then you could just leave him in with them.

I'd say that anything less than 20 degrees is probably too cold for a lone chicken, but that's a lone chicken. If he had buddies to sleep with he would be fine in those temps.

3. FlyWheel

FlyWheel Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

I have kept rooster sequestered over the winter before with no problems, but here it rarely gets below 20-25F at night. Better to wait until more and better qualified have checked in.

I guess you could consider this a 'bump'...

4. mich9510

mich9510 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2016
    Southwest PA
    Amazon has some decent hen saddles for a good price but for today I would X2 what @PeepersMama said.

5. KCAmelia

May 31, 2015
    Thanks everyone, so far! I will move him tonight, then. Thanks for the temp guideline.

I tried a saddle on his most-loved girl, but then he just attacked her. :( Plus, my girls have little trouble with injury to their backs; he seems to only damage their shoulders, so I had to use a saddle with the shoulder-protector attachment. I am going to pull the casings off of his cock spurs. Does anyone know what part of the rooster's foot causes the shoulder damage? Or can anyone give me some tips for how to get him to accept the saddle? It is camouflage, and she is black, so maybe that's the problem? I really don't want to traumatize her too much, making him attack her again. I hope he gets better at mating with age. He's really very sweet to his girls and very watchful otherwise!

6. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri

I have a bunch penned singly in a field with minimal wind protection. The only concern is frostbite of comb and wattles.

7. KCAmelia

May 31, 2015
    I see you are pretty close to me in Kansas City. They have coops but little windbreak? He has a coop right up against the garage, draft free. Hmm. Can't I just use vaseline on the wattles and such to help prevent frostbite?

8. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri

Vaseline will not be effective. Post a picture of his comb.

po

9. KCAmelia

May 31, 2015
    Thanks, I had just heard that somewhere. I have him on my porch now because he hurt his toenail today, and i cannot get the bleeding stopped. So I prob won't put him outside at all tonight. I don't know how much blood he has lost. I have put flour and pressure on it for up to 5 minutes several times, but it seems to start bleeding again as soon as he walks around. See the blood on the floor? Any suggestions or can anyone tell me how worried to be? How can i keep him from moving, just get him to roost for the night? Ugh! [​IMG]

10. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Let him sleep on the wound. All will be good in the morning. Rosecomb, awesome, as is very frostbite resistant.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by