1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Too cold to move to the garage??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by deneaalicia, Nov 15, 2011.

1. deneaalicia

deneaalicia New Egg

Nov 15, 2011
    WE have six barred rock hens that are 2 weeks old they are getting a little rambunctious in their brooder in our living room and I was wondering if it would be too cold to move the brooder to the garage. We are in California so the temps are only around high 50's to low 60's and they still have their red light on them.

2. wbruder17

wbruder17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    If they have the heat lamp, they will be fine.

3. jmtcmkb

jmtcmkb Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2011
    New Hampshire
    Quote:agree [​IMG]

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

I always brood in the garage or barn, never in the house. Where the brooder is located is irrelevant. As long as the chicken have a sleeping temp at which they are happy, they'll be just fine. If you are concerned, a higher wattage bulb would certainly do the trick. Get them a larger box as well.

Bright, white light makes them boisterous as well. The darkness of the garage, along with a red light, will keep them from going too wild, too often.

5. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Week 1 85* degrees
    week 2 80* degrees
    reduce by 5 degrees each week until the 7th week and they should be OK to move outside out of the garage into there permanent coop.

6. mikecnorthwest

mikecnorthwest Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    My Coop
    I start and end mine in the garage. The heat lamp will keep them plenty warm.

7. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    After brooding in the house ONCE and having the joy and pleasure of DUST EVERYWHERE, I no longer do that. [​IMG]

I only brood outside in my shed (or garage if I had one).

As long as they have the heat source, they'll be fine.

Make double sure they are also not exposed to drafts.

[​IMG]

8. ucleggs

ucleggs Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2011
    los ángeles

9. Time-Out

Time-Out Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    The Peak District, UK
    They'll be fine with the heat lamp. Check on them a few times to see if they're noisey and cold. If they are, either lower it or get a more powerful one.

I took mine off heat after their first week. Admittedly, they were in the house, but they didn't seem to mind the change.

10. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Heat lamps make a cozy area regardless of outside temps. I brood in an unheated building year round (except when it's over 80 or under 10)
    I had a 10 day old chick spend the night alone in the woods a couple weeks ago. It got down to 36. He returned in the morning none the worse and is very healthy at 5 weeks now.
    I may not expect the same results with hatchery birds though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by