too cold to start now?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by jcschild, Oct 18, 2015.

1. jcschild

jcschild New Egg

Oct 18, 2015
    HI,
    i live in Northern KY we just had our first frost, however high 70s later this week. is it too late in the season to start?

thanks
    Scott

2. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    Welcome! You mean, start with chickens? Chicks? Other poultry? Not really too late, you can start anytime. Probably easier to start with older birds at this time of year, although we've had chicks hatch with the broody hen, and live with their mother in the cold winter, with a little extra help from us, as far as heat and shelter. But not much help, really.

3. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    The only other concern that comes to mind is the threat of bird flu returning with the fall migration. I wouldn't let that be a big factor, but it is something to consider. If you're going to start now, it might be wise to strictly follow the protocol for biosecurity.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    If you already have a good coop/run built and all ready to be occupied, it should be fine.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2015
  5. Naliez

Naliez Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2015
    OR plan on brooding inside a lot longer than you probably want. Our Seramas are being kept inside for the winter anyway, so we always have begock inside.

6. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I brood in an out side hutch in the dead of winter every year (I always say I won't, but :oops: ). The chicks do GREAT....as long as the power stays on. I've brought boxes of chicks inside to sit next to the wood stove more times than I'd like to admit and I WON'T be doing it again this year (I swear :D ).

If you're even planning on starting with chicks, that is.

7. DanEP

DanEP Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Cadiz Ky
    I would brood them in the coop so they can acclimate to the colder weather. I would still provide them with heat on one end of the brooder and let them self regulate their own temps,but exposure to cooler temps will help them out.

8. ihc1256

ihc1256 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 29, 2015
    southern illinois
    I hope not , just got chicks a week ago. Inside my coop with an ohio brooder. I think the fall weather will be ok and they should be feathered out when really cold weather gets here. They are chicks, so just take care of them as you would in may or june.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by