too cold???

Yooperducker

Songster
5 Years
Feb 11, 2017
Copper Harbor, MI
My ducks are 7 and 8 weeks old. I moved them into their duck house and then the weather took a turn; rainy and in the upper 30's - 50's for a few days. The house is enclosed and draft free with good ventilation and lots of straw but tonight it is supposed to get down into the 20's. I am worried about the girls. Most are fully feathered but a couple are lagging behind and do not have all their adult feathers on their back/wings yet. They do pile up together and the house has a 'cubby' area that is compact and full of straw that they like to lay in. Will they be okay or should I bring them inside my house??? Worried new Mom

For peace of mind I would personally bring them inside, however if they are sheltered and have plenty of straw they should be okay, although even for ducks, it would definitely be a cold night. :D

I completely disassembled their set up when I moved them to their house and all six of them would be very crowded in the tub which is the only option at the moment to put them in. I could bring in the two who are not as fully feathered. But then I worry that the combined body heat of the six being together is important for them all to stay warm when they pile together. Removing the two may change the body heat dynamics. There is a lot of straw and it is clean and dry and the house is very sheltered. They have a low cubby (20" tall, 20"deep and 4' wide that they like to lay in within the house (4' x 8'). It may be a cold night for them but would it be a dangerous cold?

No, it would not be dangerously cold, with plenty of straw they will generate enough body heat to keep themselves warm. :)

For peace of mind I would personally bring them inside, however if they are sheltered and have plenty of straw they should be okay, although even for ducks, it would definitely be a cold night. :D
I completely disassembled their set up when I moved them to their house and all six of them would be very crowded in the tub which is the only option at the moment to put them in. I could bring in the two who are not as fully feathered. But then I worry that the combined body heat of the six being together is important for them all to stay warm when they pile together. Removing the two may change the body heat dynamics. There is a lot of straw and it is clean and dry and the house is very sheltered. They have a low cubby (20" tall, 20"deep and 4' wide that they like to lay in within the house (4' x 8'). It may be a cold night for them but would it be a dangerous cold?

okay...maybe I will be able to sleep tonight then. it is at 39 right now but it is a clear night so it could drop much lower. I will make it up to them with some warm milk/grain/oatmeal mash with berries in the morning. Thank you so much for responding.

Back
Top Bottom