1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Too Cold?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by beachchickie, Dec 6, 2009.

1. beachchickie

beachchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    Alabama
    When is it too cold for a chicken to not have heat? I live in the South and rarely ever have single digits. It was 30 last night. When should I leave a light burning for them? It is suppose to rain the rest of the week with temps in the 50-60 range during the day 40 at night. The fee range during the day. Their coop has 2 wood sides and 2 screen sides and a screen bottom(the screen is 1/2 in hardwire). We are way more concerned about the summer heat. We did put a tarp on the largest screen side. They never go in the coop during the day except for food and water.

2. Stephanie-n-Hayden

Stephanie-n-Hayden Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2009
    That is a good question. I was wondering the same with mine. I have a flock of 7 that share an 8x8 coop, a banty mom with 4 three month old chicks on one half, and a Silky and RIR on the other. The coop is completly enclosed all the way around and has two hatch doors for the chickens to come and go through during the day. I am in KY and it is pretty cold right now, in the teens during the day and reaching single digits at night. My husband doesn't want to run heat lamps out to the coop due to the energy cost but I am worried that they may get too cold during the night especially because the coop is not insulated. What do you all think?

3. bucklev

bucklev Out Of The Brooder

Dec 31, 2008
    Kenduskeag,Me
    I am not an expert but I live in maine and it gets down to 30-40 below in mid winter.As long as you keep the wind from getting to them you should be fine unless you have some young birds who havent feathered out you will be fine.:)It will actually strengthen your flock in the long run they will be much hardier.A handful of cracked corn on the coldest nights will help to warm them up.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2009
  4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

All IMO, because some will say chickens are as hardy as polar bears...
    Beach, the only thing I would worry about would be making sure that your coop is covered enough so that there are no drafts blowing on them when it dips down below freezing (assuming it will eventually at night???). I'm not familiar w/wire bottoms, so don't know how drafty this is, plus you still have an open side. Is there an area they can get to to be out of drafts?
    Stephanie, since you can't run a heat lamp, I would use a LOT of bedding, possibly add a huddle box... Is insulating the ceiling an option? You could also stack haybales up against the walls, especially the wall where most of your wind hits. We're just north of Louisville, and I do use a heat lamp at night, as my girls are young. I was happy that it stayed around 34 in my coop last night...

5. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    yeap,,

no I live in s. Georgia. You will never have to heat your chickens, ducks, geese, turkeys, peafowl, or any thing down here.
    All these birds take the cold way better than we give them credit for. Our little ol 25 - 30 degree nights dont even phase them.
    There are s few cold sensitive birds, like green junglefowl, green peafowl, and vulturine guineas, but for the most part, you will have nothing to worry about down here.
    Aubrey

6. beachchickie

Dec 6, 2009
    Alabama
    The part of my coop that is open is one end which unless it blows in that direction they should not get a draft. How do the other birds make it out in the open? WE have tons of birds all winter. This is another Q. Now and then the dog water would freeze overnight but we did not worry cause the sun would always melt it. Since we both work and don't have time to go out in the am. How much water will they need if it were to freeze and not thaw until mid am?

7. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Quote:Fresh water available is critical to any animal. Invest in a heated waterer if there's a chance you won't have time to replace frozen water in the mornings...even a heated dog bowl would work.

8. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    like I said, birds are built to handle the cold, especially wild ones, if that's what you are referring to, as for the water, they'll be fine just make sure they have some when you get in from work. I am in the same boat there, they just have to deal with it til I get in..
    Good thing is, it's winter time, and they dont need the water intake like they do in our 100 degree summers

9. beachchickie

Dec 6, 2009
    Alabama
    Thanks Aubrey, I felt pretty sure they would be ok. I had read that the water they get from the dew is actually enough in the winter. My girls free range. I quickly run down and let them out in am b/f work. Their water is in the coop so it should not freeze unless is goes down to 20 for more than one night. That is rare here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by