1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Too cold?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Justhatched, Nov 7, 2011.

1. Justhatched

Justhatched Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    I have seen on here that you do not have to do anything special when the cold weather comes. So I have a question. Our coop has a window that I close at night and it has a small vent. The question is with the doggy door attached. I have been closing it at night I didn't want them to get too cold or frost bite. I was wondering when I should close it? Lately it's gotten in the 20's-30's at night. Should I close the doggy door then? Will they be okay if I left it open?

Thank you

2. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    You can still leave it open, they'll be fine. I have 3 big windows in my coop that I haven't put back in yet. It's getting down to the 20's - 30's here at night, too.

3. Higins00

Higins00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Ct
    I usually don't worry until it gets into the low teens at night / single digits and gets windy. You should be fine in the 20's. Do what you feel comfortable doing. If you want to close it, go ahead.

4. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    So, what I've been told is that you want plenty of ventilation above their heads, but you want to avoid drafts. I haven't seen your coop, but I'm guessing the door would be located near the floor and thus would be creating a draft.

5. Justhatched

Justhatched Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Our coop

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
  6. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Ventilation and no drafts. What that means is that no wind or breeze or anything is on them when they're on the roost. But they do need ventilation in the winter to keep moisture from building up. I've been told that high moisture means increased chance of frostbite. Most breeds do just fine in the 20's and lower so long as they have a dry place to be out of a draft where they can huddle.

7. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    I have a door on the floor of mine also, I leave open...UNLESS the winds howl from that direction...we have already dipped into the single digits here....they are all doing fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by