Too early for fist outing?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Marion565, Aug 28, 2010.

1. Marion565

Marion565 Chillin' With My Peeps

I got my little ones in on Thursday, they were hatched on the 24th. Is it too early for them to go outside yet (supervised of course and only for a few hours)?

3 Easter eggers, 2 silver laced wyandotts, 2 buff orpingtons and 4 leghorns

2. Cherokeerainbow

Cherokeerainbow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2009
    Turner, Maine
    I'm assuming that its quite warm there in Texas. So, as long as it's warm enough and you stay with them, they should be ok.
    Caution though, please don't let them near any other birds or where the other birds have been. Just a precaution, they are still vunerable to disease.
    Just think, if they were hatched under a broody hen, they would be adventureing now too with Mom.
    Have fun!

3. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Yes, absolutely!

In fact, it is healthier for them the earlier they encounter the soil. Early exposure helps them develop resistance to local cocci protozoa early, often helping them never have an outbreak.

In contrast to what Cherokeerainbow said, i purposely make sure my chicks are exposed to adult droppings (not a ton, just some) asap, for the very purpose of helping them build cocci resistance.

As long as weather cooperates, i say let them be outside as much as you can.

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:\\
    Same here.

5. Marion565

Marion565 Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks for your replies, I just got home from work and it is 94 degrees out I think they will be outside for an hour or so, can't wait to see how they react to grass LOL

6. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    A quick caution: just because the air temp is warm doesn't mean the babies can be out in the full sun. They'll absorb too much heat direct from the sun exposure and overheat very quickly!

Feathers regulate body temperature and chicks don't have any yet! Make sure you provide shade for them!

Other than that, they should be fine and it'll be a huge lot of fun!

7. midd2005

midd2005 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Oahu
    yes shade! mine freaked out big time the first time i took them out because i thought sunshine was good. It is not.

8. buildingmyark

buildingmyark Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2010
    Louisiana
    Show us some pics....... please!!!!!!!!!!!!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by