Too early for internal pipping?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by agregg15, Apr 7, 2012.

1. agregg15

agregg15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2011
    Connecticut
    Hi everyone! I just candled my duck eggs which have been in the incubator for 22 days. It seems like they've already internally pipped. The temperature is slightly higher than it should be (101-102*F) and I realize due to this, they've probably grown faster than normal, but I still think it's too early. I'll try to post photos of the candling ASAP.

2. QuackerJackFarms

QuackerJackFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    Missouri
    I'm wondering if they're actually just preparing to internal pip. I'll look forward to seeing your pics. And do you have a still air or forced air bator?

3. agregg15

Apr 8, 2011
    Connecticut
    It's a still air incubator and here are the pics. I forgot to take a pic of the third egg, but it looks the same as the other 2. Sorry they're so grainy looking.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. QuackerJackFarms

Jun 26, 2011
    Missouri
    Oh wow! Look at that! 101 is really where you want your still air to be.. They're just coming early. I just had 4 ducks and a turkey come 5 days early. In fact we were wondering if it had something to do with the full moon..LOL.

I'd put them in the bator with the lowest part of the air cell facing up and crank your humidity. You'll have duckies soon!

What kind of ducks are these?

5. agregg15

Apr 8, 2011
    Connecticut
    Thanks :D I'm so excited! When should I expect there to be shaking, or external pipping. Should I also stop turning them (okay that's kind of a stupid question, but I'm just paranoid. I don't want to mess up now!) Should I also turn down the heat and put them into lockdown. They are probably mallard/khaki campbell crosses or mallard/WH crosses. I can't wait to see the results. I'll keep you updated :D

6. QuackerJackFarms

Jun 26, 2011
    Missouri
    Ok, I was wondering if they were mallard. They hatch in 25.5 days. So that may have a little something to do with it.

Definitely stop turning them. Get your humidity up to 70, if you want to turn the heat down just a tad then fine.. but don't worry about it if it's closer to 100. And don't be surprised if you don't see a pip until tmw night. Mine normally take 2 days or a good day and a half to externally pip. Don't open the bator any more! Yay for duckies! Keep me posted on what's going on.

7. agregg15

Apr 8, 2011
    Connecticut
    Thank you so much! I will definitely keep you posted. Now I play the waiting game .[​IMG] If they start externally pipping tomorrow they may be almost Easter ducklings.

8. QuackerJackFarms

Jun 26, 2011
    Missouri
    Ha! Well.. they have til midnight tmw.. It's a possibility. I have a couple turkeys I've been waiting on all day now. Easter turkeys for sure! (And then later Thanksgiving turkeys..lol)

9. agregg15

Apr 8, 2011
    Connecticut
    Good luck on your turkeys :) I wish my school had spring break this week instead of next week so I could be there all day patiently waiting near the incubator for hours on end until they hatched. Do you think they'll hatch on late Monday or Tuesday? I just heard one peep [​IMG] That just made my day!

10. QuackerJackFarms

Jun 26, 2011
    Missouri
    I would guess tmw night, but would not be surprised in the least if it was Monday morning. They just take their sweet little time coming out in the world.

I love it when they peep at you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by