1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Too early for layer feed?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by carladababe, Jun 15, 2011.

1. carladababe

carladababe Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Dixon, Missouri
    My chicks are now 16 weeks old, happy and healthy. I have been feeding them chick starter/grower medicated all this time and have very little left. Can I switch to layer feed before they actually start to lay eggs? or is it better to buy one last 50# bag of starter/grower?[​IMG]

2. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    I dont see why not,they are at that age where they are getting ready to lay. Thats about the age I switched mine to layer with the same thought process as yours. A year in they are all happy and laying like crazy! Today was slow with 7 but thats ok.

3. Codyandme1

Codyandme1 Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2011
    I don't have any chicks but when you do decide to switch them to the layers pellets and they refuse to eat it, i have learnt with my other baby animals, to gradually introduce them to the new food, just so your not messing up the digestive system to much.[​IMG]

4. Roo on Harley

Roo on Harley Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2011
    Texas
    Quote:[​IMG] on the gradual transition of feed

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by