Too early for treats?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by flock-mama, Jun 27, 2008.

1. flock-mama

flock-mama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2008
    Bayfield colorado
    Well my 20, one week old chicks are quite the little hunters. I heard a bunch of loud chirping and went to investigate, one had a very small dragon fly in its mouth running around like crazy! So cute! A few mins later a small moth was caught. Now there is a fly buzzing over and its got everyones attention. lol. Why are these bugs all of a sudden in my house? I better check the front door! LOL! [​IMG]
    I know its too early for treats, but they got it on their own.

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Gotta love the pest elimination aspect of chickens.... I wish they were better at catching flies.

3. Mycookoonest

Mycookoonest Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2008
    Hudson Valley NY
    My babies who are almost 2 weeks old, love chasing a stray fly that heads toward their light... it cracks me up. A few have come VERY close to catching one!

4. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I wish mine would show more interest in the little black ants we have everywhere.

5. drom

drom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2008
    California
    So, can anyone tell me when can I start giving my pullets treats? Is is bad to give them snacks at 8 weeks? I hope not. In the last few days they have gotten some oatmeal, peaches, tomatoes and baby corn. They are still eating plenty of starter crumbles. But should I wait until they are older to resume the treats?[​IMG] [​IMG]

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Nah, at 8 weeks old treats are fine, IMO. If you go to the top of the "Feeding Time" category, you'll find a great treat chart put together by Buff Hooligan with more treat ideas.
    The only thing to keep in mind about treats is to keep the amount of treats low; no more than 10% of their daily intake. Try plain yogurt, but one warning...stand back or you'll get covered in it. It's a hoot to watch them eat it.

7. drom

Jun 12, 2008
    California
    Quote:Nah, at 8 weeks old treats are fine, IMO. If you go to the top of the "Feeding Time" category, you'll find a great treat chart put together by Buff Hooligan with more treat ideas.
    The only thing to keep in mind about treats is to keep the amount of treats low; no more than 10% of their daily intake. Try plain yogurt, but one warning...stand back or you'll get covered in it. It's a hoot to watch them eat it.

Oh, good. thanks. I'm getting some yogurt for them tomorrow.
    [​IMG]

8. BearSwampChick

BearSwampChick Chicken Sensei

Jan 10, 2008
    Marysville, OH
    Wow, mine have been free-ranging since they were 8 weeks. I figure that is equivalent to lowering the protein ratio with oats and what they would be doing if I lived on a "real" farm with momma hen taking care of them. They seem to be doing great.

9. drom

Jun 12, 2008
    California
    OK they had the plain yogurt tonight. hahahhaha. They loved it.[​IMG]

10. flock-mama

flock-mama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2008
    Bayfield colorado
    Working in a school kitchen, one day we had made too much mashed potatos, I brought left overs home, it was messy but fun to watch them eat. lol. [​IMG] A few years ago we had like 30 lbs of left over Mac-n-cheese, I put it in a pile and they grabbed like it was the only noodle and ran around! lol.
    Now, don't worry at that time I had 45 adult birds to eat all that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by