too early to candle?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mlove, May 30, 2010.

1. mlove

mlove Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2010
    tx
    I put silkie and polish eggs in the incubator at 8:00 am on 5/24. This is my first time incubating chicken eggs so do you think I would be able to see what eggs are good/bad tomorrow if I candle them? I can feel a difference in some of the eggs while I'm turning them but I don't know if the lighter feeling eggs are good or if the heavier feeling eggs are good.

2. Mandalina

Mandalina Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Savannah,MO
    you should see something on day 8, look at the candling photos for examples, it is at the top of this forum.

3. ChickenPalace

ChickenPalace Out Of The Brooder

Last edited: May 30, 2010
  4. mlove

Feb 25, 2010
    tx
    Thanks for the help. I have read posts about blood rings. What do the eggs with blood rings look like?

5. joe17

joe17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Louisiana
    Blood rings look like you have just drawn a complete circle around the egg. It is obvious and you will know which ones have blood rings! Good luck!!!!!!!!!

6. mlove

Feb 25, 2010
    tx
    Thanks! I have been dying to candle so I could see how everything is going. I can only imagine how hard lock down and hatching will be if I make it that far.

7. joe17

joe17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Louisiana
    You can candle as much as you want, when you want too! In the wild, the momma hen gets off the nest everyday for 15 minutes. Candling your eggs wont take any longer than 5! A lot of people say the less you open the bator the better the hatch rate but that isnt always true...... I just candle for the fun of it. It cool looking for the heart beat!!!!!!!!!

8. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    I tend to candle quite often, about every 2 days from day 7, to monitor progress and to throw out any that have died along the way. I open the incubator, take out 6 at a time, candle , then place them back and take another 6. At least I tell myself I am candling to ensure I am not leaving non-viable eggs with the risk of exploding, infection etc. Truth is, I am fascinated by the moving life forms and curiosity always gets the better of me. I have good hatch rates, so viability is not apparently affected,
    Sandie

9. naturesluxuries

naturesluxuries Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2009
    Hello [​IMG] I set my 26 eggs in the bator on the 28th and I candled today and can see the veining. 2 of the eggs are silkies. I candled often in my last hatch and all was well.

10. mlove

Feb 25, 2010
    tx
    Thanks for all of the help and advice. I tossed 5 polish and 4 silkie eggs but still have 19 eggs in the incubator so I'm happy. 2-3 eggs were iffy so I'll wait and candle again in a few days. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by