Too early to give eggs to broody?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BeardedLadyFarm, Jan 4, 2010.

1. BeardedLadyFarm

BeardedLadyFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Cobleskill NY
    I posted several days ago to get opinions on my Cuckoo Marans. I thought she was broody. Now, I know she is. I pull her off the nest 3-4 times a day, and she gets right back on after a quick snack.

Is it silly of me to get some eggs for her now? I'm in Philadelphia, PA and we're having nights in the 20's, and days in the mid-30's.

This is her first time (she's still a pullet). I'm not really keen on a brooder full of babies until spring, but I could pull them inside if something goes awry. Would it be best to give her just 3-4 eggs so there's a better chance of her keeping them all warm?

2. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    That doesn't sound like a bad idea. 3 or 4 would be alot better than 9 or 10 if you do end up needing to bring her in....poo poo factor and all [​IMG]

3. BeardedLadyFarm

May 31, 2009
    Cobleskill NY
    Quote:I hadn't thought of bringing her in, but maybe the chicks if I need to take her away from them. There is a big difference between 3 pooping chicks and 15! And without possibility of dragging the brooder outside on a nice day until late March.

the current plan is to give her 3, but also incubate 3 inside so I can have some practice. Then if she fails to hatch I can stick a chick under her. (more likely that I will fail to hatch...)

4. karen71

karen71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Bear, DE
    IDK I'm in Delaware so we have about the same temps - give her the eggs see what happens- maybe if they hatch you'll have to provide the brooder with heat the worse is the eggs won't hatch

I like the idea of bringing her inside - take her out once a day for the stinky [​IMG] broody poo [​IMG]

Good luck !!!
    I had a broody all went well with hatch not raising [​IMG]
    I am now looking to incubate see how it goes [​IMG]:fl:fl

good luck in whatever you choose !!!!

5. Namble

Namble Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2009
    North Florida
    I have a broody right now with 7 eggs under her. But i'm in FL and it only gets maybe 30's at night and 60-70's in the day.

6. BeardedLadyFarm

May 31, 2009
    Cobleskill NY
    Quote:I'm fearful of this broody poop! I've seen a couple pretty big ones, which I have to guess are hers. The upside is they freeze before they stink!

7. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    I definitely think it's good to give it a try! Broody hens hatching chicks is really fun and rewarding to watch.

I have a broody serama hen right now. She has six eggs under her, but only two are late enough in development that I'm going to let her keep them for the week or so until they (hopefully) hatch. [​IMG] I'm kind of nervous--these will be my first serama chicks! The others will be put in my incubator once it arrives and is all set up (ordering it tonight!).

8. BeardedLadyFarm

May 31, 2009
    Cobleskill NY
    I'm so excited to try it, I just worry about the cold. Worst case I have to raise a few chicks in side, best case, I get to watch some chicks raised by mama (and mama gets back to laying nice dark brown eggs)

Of course it doesn't hurt that my closest and best chicken friend has some nice looking Marans eggs... Always fun to experiment with some super dark Black Coppers...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by