Too early to know sex?

lv9777

Songster
Aug 29, 2021
Michigan
New chicken owner expanding the flock. I put five eggs under a broody hen and have four chicks. They are 11 days old and I believe they are a mixed, Cochin and Sussex. Is it too early to get an idea on sex? Can I use the feather growth to tell if they are not 100% Cochin? I am pretty sure the one with wings and pin feathers is a pullet and I am hoping the red one is as well. Not sure about the other two. The tiny chick (Lazarus) was stuck in the egg. I assisted after 24 hours and was sure he would die as he could not stand or walk for several days. He can now keep up with the gang, but I think he is a Roo.

Attachments

• chicks-family.JPG
    chicks-family.JPG
    897.5 KB · Views: 14
  • chicks-girl.JPG
    chicks-girl.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 9
  • chicks-ginger.JPG
    chicks-ginger.JPG
    660.9 KB · Views: 8
  • chicks ginger beak close.JPG
    chicks ginger beak close.JPG
    283.3 KB · Views: 10
  • chicks lazarus.JPG
    chicks lazarus.JPG
    718.3 KB · Views: 10
  • chicks-puff.JPG
    chicks-puff.JPG
    950.9 KB · Views: 10
  • chicks-puffbeak.JPG
    chicks-puffbeak.JPG
    371.9 KB · Views: 9
New chicken owner expanding the flock. I put five eggs under a broody hen and have four chicks. They are 11 days old and I believe they are a mixed, Cochin and Sussex. Is it too early to get an idea on sex? Can I use the feather growth to tell if they are not 100% Cochin? I am pretty sure the one with wings and pin feathers is a pullet and I am hoping the red one is as well. Not sure about the other two. The tiny chick (Lazarus) was stuck in the egg. I assisted after 24 hours and was sure he would die as he could not stand or walk for several days. He can now keep up with the gang, but I think he is a Roo.
None look pure cochin (no feathered legs). Feathered legs are a dominant gene, so they are not direct cochin crosses either. Far too early to sex.

The yellow shanks are so confusing as well. Sussex have white shanks (pinkish when chicks). Its also a dominant gene.

Back
Top Bottom