Too early to molt?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by austinclarksf, Aug 25, 2013.

1. austinclarksf

austinclarksf Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2012
    Hi folks,

Is it too early for hens to molt? I live in ABQ New Mexico, and this is my first year with a flock. I don't know many good chicken owners in the area, they are no help.

My RIR is lookin nappy, she is just over 1 year old. Her head is mostly bald, and she's shedding feathers from all over. My game bird also lost all of her tail feathers one day, she is just younger than 1 year. I can post pictures.

Behavior is normal, although she may not be 100%, she hasnt laid an egg for 3 weeks. I de-wormed for a second round last weekend (1st round Wazine, 2nd round Safeguard), she was suffering from roundworms when she stopped laying. My biggest concern is her comb. It's shrunken considerably, and is not it's usual vibrant red. Her droppings look normal.

I treated for cocci after losing a bird 1 and a half months ago. Could she be suffering still, and need another treatment? My flock's overall health improved after a treatment of Sulmet.

2. Bullitt

Bullitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    It seems they may be molting.

Type molting into the search box. There are many threads about it.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Usually birds molt at around 18 months and yearly thereafter, but stress, lack of food or water, or other reasons can suddenly throw a chicken into a molt. This is the time of year for it since many raise chicks in the spring.

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Sounds to me like they're molting. Chickens stop laying when they start molting, and their combs/wattles usually shrivel up. Also, chickens do usually start molting when they are a year or slightly over a year of age.

5. austinclarksf

Dec 17, 2012
    Thank you for the feedback, sorry for the delay in reply.

The molting hen in question is pale, lethargic, and hangs in the corner most of the time.

She is mentally aware, will snatch bugs from me and come out when I enter the coop. But, her lethargy and pale shriveled comb have me worried. I fed them a protein fortified pasta snack yesterday, and added electrolytes to the water.

She is around 18 months right now, so a molt should be expected. But, I'm still a little worried about her. Is this behavior normal for a molt? Could she be developing a deficiency? After all, she just conquered a bad worm problem then went straight to a molt.

6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    What did you worm with and did you do the follow up worming to kill any that hatched after your initial worming?

-Kathy

7. austinclarksf

Dec 17, 2012
    Here's a picture I just took:

[​IMG]

She's caught the light in a flattering way. Her comb is a little more faded than it looks here. She perked up from a slump to pose for the pic.

Here's a pic from a few months back, bad pic I know.
    [​IMG]

Her comb is half the size and color is was. So if that's normal for a molt, is her drop in personality also? She is not herself.

8. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    What did you worm her with? FYI, Wazine only gets one type of worm, the roundworm.

-Kathy

9. austinclarksf

Dec 17, 2012
    I initially wormed with Wazine, and her health improved significantly. I followed up two weeks later with Safeguard goat wormer.

She was also treated for cocci three weeks before her first worming, but not a second round on the Sulmet. Everyone's health improved after Sulmet, but I have been considering using Corid just as a precaution- although I HATE USING ALL THESE CHEMICALS!

Let me know what you think. I'll do whatever is necessary to keep my girls healthy.

10. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    It's possible that you didn't get all of the worms. How much Safeguard did you give her?

-Kathy

Last edited: Sep 2, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by