Too early to start crowing?

obxWaMi

Songster
10 Years
Sep 27, 2009
OBX, NC (Roanoke Island)
Is 5 weeks too young? DH swears one of my little roos was trying to this morning. Sounded muffled, but still sounded like a crow to him.

If he is starting to crow, does this mean he is likely to be a better roo than the others? I'm only going to keep 2 roos. Should he be one of the two?

gritsar

Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!
12 Years
Nov 9, 2007
SW Arkansas
I've read of them starting at a few days old. My former alpha roo started at 10 weeks old. His brother at 15 weeks.
It really doesn't mean he's a better roo; more likely just the most dominant one at the present time.

chicks4kids

Songster
10 Years
Apr 22, 2009
Northern Indiana
One of my little "girls" started crowing at a few weeks old...so I gave that one extra special attention and he is such a sweet boy now.....loves being pet and held!! So that makes him super sweet

Neilette

Songster
9 Years
Apr 18, 2010
Seattle, WA
On the other hand, my EE roo is 4 months old and still sings like a little girl.

And my Silkie Showgirl, which The Internet promised me would be androgynous for a good three-fourths of a year, started crowing at 3.5 months old!

KingSpeck

Chirping
10 Years
Nov 10, 2009
One of mine started at two and a half weeks old. He's now four weeks old and has already drawn blood fighting with the other boys. We will definately not be keeping this one!

Top Bottom