Too early to start crowing?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by obxWaMi, Jun 15, 2010.

1. obxWaMi

obxWaMi Chillin' With My Peeps

Is 5 weeks too young? DH swears one of my little roos was trying to this morning. Sounded muffled, but still sounded like a crow to him.

If he is starting to crow, does this mean he is likely to be a better roo than the others? I'm only going to keep 2 roos. Should he be one of the two?

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I've read of them starting at a few days old. My former alpha roo started at 10 weeks old. His brother at 15 weeks.
    It really doesn't mean he's a better roo; more likely just the most dominant one at the present time.

3. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    One of my little "girls" started crowing at a few weeks old...so I gave that one extra special attention and he is such a sweet boy now.....loves being pet and held!! So that makes him super sweet

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Mine was 4 days old when he started crowing.

5. Neilette

Neilette Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    On the other hand, my EE roo is 4 months old and still sings like a little girl. [​IMG]

And my Silkie Showgirl, which The Internet promised me would be androgynous for a good three-fourths of a year, started crowing at 3.5 months old! [​IMG]

6. KingSpeck

KingSpeck Out Of The Brooder

Nov 10, 2009
    One of mine started at two and a half weeks old. He's now four weeks old and has already drawn blood fighting with the other boys. We will definately not be keeping this one!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by