1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Too early to tell these two breeds?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jabronee, Mar 28, 2016.

1. jabronee

jabronee New Egg

Mar 27, 2016
    Hey all,
    I got these chicks on Thursday, March 17th. At that point I believe they were already a week or so old. I believe they are all pullets as well. Anyway, I have some theories as to what breed they are (Wyandottes for the black ones and either Buff Orpingtons or maybe Red Sex Links for the yellow/red ones). I have 5 of each, let me know if you need a better picture to get an idea on the breed.

Looking forward to hearing what you think!

[​IMG]

2. henny1129

henny1129 Crazy Livestock Gal Premium Member

I think the yellow/red one is a Red Sex Link. The other one is either a Wyandotte or a Black Australorp. Good luck with your chicks and they are adorable! :)

3. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Irish Colleen Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    I think you have a Black Australorp and maybe a Red sex-link (could you get a better picture of the red one?).

4. Chicken Girl1

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Oh and [​IMG].

5. jabronee

jabronee New Egg

Mar 27, 2016
    No problem, here's a few more pictures of the yellow girls:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I hadn't thought of Black Australorps but that seems pretty likely too. My only question is that they are starting to get white feathers. Do Black Australorps have any white feathers? Here's a better picture:
    [​IMG]

6. henny1129

henny1129 Crazy Livestock Gal Premium Member

Hmmmm.......I'm not sure if it's a Black Australorp anymore as they shouldn't have white feathers. And a Wyandotte should have more of a laced pattern, so I'm not at sure on the black one. I'm almost positive the yellow/red one is a Red Sex Link.

7. Jensownzoo

Jensownzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2016
    Saint Louis, MO
    Yes, red sex-link and australorp. My lorp chicks also have those white feathers...I think they may lose them in the first molt?

8. Chicken Girl1

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    agreed

9. MonicainAZ

MonicainAZ Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Yes. My aussies had a few white-tipped feathers when they were small like this, but they didn't last. They are all black now. :)
    .[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by