Too far to jump?

P-Funk

Songster
9 Years
Feb 20, 2011
Franktown
In the converted stall in the barn I made a seperate 'coop' for little peepers. I had planned on leaving them in there until they were 4 months or at least big enough to integrate with the big girls. The last 2 mornings I found the little ones sitting on top of the frame of their little 'pen'. It's 7 feet high and they get up there by jumping from the roost, which is a home-made ladder. Then they can't get back down - so I pick them up one by one and put them back on the floor. They just turned 3 months and it seems they really want to join the group. Does this mean they're ready? They've been out free ranging before and keep to themselves with only minor squabbles. But I'm afraid they'll get beat up in an 22x11 stall.

Be helpful to know how many other chickens and how many bitties you have. But generally you do need to wait until they are similar in size to the older girls. I think they fly better when young than when older, or maybe they're just more motivated to. They want to get out and explore but that doesn't mean they should always.

Mine youngest ones (about 2-3 months old) sleep on a "roost" that's about 6 feet off the ground and they fly down every morning. Maybe if they are shown a lower perch area, they'll sleep there and then they can get down on their own.

You know I feel for your concerns but at 2 to 3 months old they should be fine with the big girls. Just put a lot of things in the way for them to run around. The little ones are fast and most times get out of the way easy. I put a lot of stuff like sand box and tree branches and rocks to dodge around so here I will post it:
102768_1320426081421.jpg

Steve, they look just like my three little ones! There are 5 'yearlings' and I was just observing them all come in for the night. You weren't kidding about the peepers being agile. The little EE got up on the divider to the next stall - 8' tall
ep.gif
Then her sisters, yet to be ID'd, tried to join her. They made it halfway, to the perch the Leghorn has designated her own. She got a hold of one of the little ones by the back of the neck and didn't let go until I intervened
idunno.gif
It certainly is entertainig, though. I've never spent so much time in the barn
th.gif

Back
Top Bottom