Too funny, new food frenzy!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Princess Lay-a, Jun 25, 2010.

1. Princess Lay-a

Princess Lay-a Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2010
    Great Falls
    I had nectarine that was getting far too soft. [​IMG]
    I washed it and took it to the chickens to see what they thought of it. They were very peacefully preening and wandering in the brooder. I dropped it in and they scattered, then stood rock still ...looking at this invader with deep interest...Slowly the bravest ones came close and gave it the "two eye" glare. First one eye and then a head tilt to look with the other. A couple approached and gave a peck each. OooOo! That was good![​IMG]
    The rest can only be described like a scene from a horror movie [​IMG]..yes, they were on that nectarine like zombies on a fat man! [​IMG] Seriously, they swarmed it and nothing was left! The pit had to be there as big as pits are, but most likely kicked under chaff. I will take the camera next time. I have never seen such a display of mob rule and voracious eating...well, maybe on "28 Days Later" or "Day of the Dead"[​IMG]..LOL!

2. aubreynoramarie

aubreynoramarie designated lawn flamingo

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    lol! i went through the same thing the other day with a few old strawberries. they all looked like cannibals with thick red clumps hanging off their beaks!

3. sonjab314

sonjab314 Constant State of Confusion

May 15, 2010
    Missouri
    I know what you mean. I took an entire heaf of lettuce out the my chickens yesterday and it was gone in less than 5 minutes. The only thing they left was the core. They are like piranhas with beaks.

4. MysticScorpio82

MysticScorpio82 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Maine, USA
    LOL that is so funny and cute! I remember when my buffies were chicks, I had only 6 survive out of a lot of 14, so I scrambled and egg for them to make sure they got the extra protien and stuff....well at first they didn't know what to make of it, then when the brave one grabbed a piece all the others started chasing the one chick to steal the bit of egg! Lol I miss my babies..

5. MMPoultryFarms

MMPoultryFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    Okarche Oklahoma
    Very funny haha.. I learned the other day That if chicks like it we can't have it back.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by