Too funny

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by firedove, Mar 26, 2009.

1. firedove

firedove Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2008
    Fitzwilliam NH
    Tonight 5 of my 4 week old chicks decided to have a stroll around the living room. Up until know I have kept them off the floor most of the time for fear of what my cats might do. Anyways, so down onto the floor they went and I settled down to observe. [​IMG] They of course started pecking and scratching, moving around as they did so.

My young female cat Cara was first on the scene, she was watching them intently but obviously unnerved if they turned in her direction.

My male cat Dapper came in looking totally confused and for some reason the chicks decided they wanted to check him out so he sat with his head cocked looking at the chicks as they surrounded him and then he looked up at me with an expression that clearly said 'HELP!' So I "rescued him" from the scary chicks by shoeing them into another part of the living room. As soon as the chicks were away Dapper was gone like a shot, not to be seen again [​IMG]

My older female Princess showed up next. She is the one who is always trying to catch their shadows on the outside of the brooder wall. She gave a look that could only be extreme disgust and turned around, went back the way she had come.

Now by this time the chicks were checking out Cara who was trying to be brave. Then one of the chicks pecked her on the cheek. Cara raised up a paw like she was going to swat it and instead turned and ran to a safer observation point [​IMG] the brave kitty that she is [​IMG]

My dog must have heard the commotion that the other chicks in the brooder were making as they were jumping up and down off the rim of the brooder (not brave enough to come out all the way just now). He came trotting half way across the kitchen and stopped dead when he saw the chicks on the floor. He looked at me and whined so I called him over and gave him a scratch on the head to reassure him that everything was alright. When the chicks on the floor spotted his white paws it was a race to see who could get there first. They came tearing across the floor, Snoopy took one look at the oncoming group [​IMG] and went back across the kitchen and down the hall to the bedroom as fast as he could go on the slippery linoleum floor.

So tonight proves that my chicks have no fears in our house and that my cats and dog are wimps, lol. Just the way I like it! [​IMG]

2. sherrydeanne

sherrydeanne Chillin' With My Peeps

LOL

You're brave, I'm scared to death of what my cats will do, so I don't plan on ever finding out. I'm sure fullgrown pullets will be perfectly safe, but I don't trust my cats a lick around chicks.

3. toyzbox

toyzbox Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Crestview, Fl
    Wow, what a great movie that would make. Too bad you didn't have a camera handy.[​IMG]

4. hollymh

hollymh *A Scrambled Egg*

Feb 8, 2009
    Texas
    HAHAHAHA I always say "my dog is more chicken than my chickens!!!" and he is lol [​IMG]

5. danielbrown

danielbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    Spartanburg, sc
    I had a dog that ignored full grown chickens, but was scared to death of a baby chick. [​IMG]

Another good one. I used to feed the cat outside. at feeding time the cat vs OEGB roo.

As Cat was eating the Roo showed up and started staring down the cat. When Cat ignored Roo, Roo pecked Cat on the head. Cat folded his ears back and hissed, Then Roo started chestbumping Cat in the face. Cat then swatted Roo who flogged back. Cat retreats and watches helplessly as Roo calls his hens to come and eat the cats food.

The hole thing went down in about 5 seconds.

6. firedove

Nov 10, 2008
    Fitzwilliam NH
    [​IMG] Little Roo vs. Cat, now that would be something to see!

I do wish I had a video camera for moments like those! My cats are all indoor cats so the only wildlife they encounter is the occasional interloping mouse (which doesn't last long). Birds are a source of amazement for them out the window, but apparently very intimidating inside, lol. My dog is just a wimp most of the time. Threaten me though and you will see how fast my dog turns from submissive wimp into guard dog in seconds, nobody messes with his mommy [​IMG]

7. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    My cats are none too pleased with chickens of any size!

8. mommathea

mommathea Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2009
    last night the 6wk chicks escaped while I was changing the water. Well the cat came down the stairs to see what the excited chirping was all about.
    One of the chicks started staring down the cat. Then all the sudden the chick flew up in the air towards the cat.
    I have never seen a cat tuck tail and run so fast in all my life.
    Dh and I were laughing our heads off.

9. firedove

Nov 10, 2008
    Fitzwilliam NH
    [​IMG] brave cat!

Sounds like you may have a little cockerel there (although the pullets can be pretty brutal when they want to be). If it is a cockerel you can be pretty sure that he will be a good protector of his ladies [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by