Too good for heat!?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by raymondjames, Oct 26, 2011.

1. raymondjames

raymondjames Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2011
    I got a batch of 2 2.5week old chicks and they will play for hours and hours and hours without getting cold. WOW the temp in play space is 70*F... does anybody else have chicks like this??? also unrealted Q: Will they get along with newborns well? i mean they absolutely LOVE (i mean double [​IMG]) each other, but will they let other chicks into their circle?

2. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    At the 2 1/2 weeks they is a very weak circle. You can before to much longer intro a few more 2 week or 3 week old chicks. I would try to get ones that were very close in age. If you were to go back to the store or a urban farm store and pick up a a couple more . Chicken math you wanted 2 or 3 and end up with a bit more than expected. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Somehow!!!!!

3. darin367

darin367 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2010
    Shelton, Wa.
    i got 2-3 week old chicks that play, forage for hours at 50 degrees..... i've come to believe most people keep their chicks way to warm...

4. jmtcmkb

jmtcmkb Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2011
    New Hampshire
    Mine are 4 weeks, but have been playing around most of the day in a 65-70* atmosphere. We have an eco glow which is radiant heat only in a very confined area, which they choose to go into if they desire and most of the time they only use it at night when the lights are out.

I would love to put them out in the coop now in 50* day time temps but I am nervous, next week maybe [​IMG]

5. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Quote:Time to trust that the Good Lord made enough down and feathers for them to survive 50 degrees or less [​IMG]

6. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I agree, chicks often prefer it cooler than is recommended. This has always been my experience. Once they pass those first few critical days, they are pretty resilient, IMO.

As a rule of thumb, you should be able to mix different ages of chicks that are all 4 weeks old or under. That's no guarantee it will work as they're still individuals, but I would try it.

7. jmtcmkb

jmtcmkb Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2011
    New Hampshire
    Quote:Time to trust that the Good Lord made enough down and feathers for them to survive 50 degrees or less [​IMG]

You made me smile Steve... got to go hang the feeder and waterer and put down some pellets/shavings. [​IMG]

8. Time-Out

Time-Out Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    The Peak District, UK
    I'm mixing my chicks slowly. I have some that hatched last Friday and some that hatched 2 weeks prior. I gave the youngest time to find their feet, so they wouldn't be knocked around as much, then I removed the bigger ones from their box, and put the smaller ones in, so they can find the food and water comfortably. I've then started introducing, one at a time, the bigger ones, starting from the smallest. I'm currently up to 4 biggies, with 2 to go. The littl'uns seem to be doing fine so far.

I have to say, I'm not looking forward to putting the Vorwerk back in there with them. That thing is like a bull in a china shop. I'm sure it's a male!

9. raymondjames

raymondjames Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2011
    Quote:they wont like the newborns, huh? phooey only got 1 brooder...
    but will there be a time when i can mix them.. i mean one batch is always gonna be 3-3.5 weeks older... but will there be a time they can all live together... the chicks now use all their space and havinh a barrier (i hear is a often used mehtod) will have them lose their space, thats for sure...

10. dgilm

dgilm Out Of The Brooder

Sep 29, 2011
    My chicks are just 4 weeks today. When I checked the temp under the light yesterday, it was right where it was supposed to be, at 75 degrees. The silly things are rarely under it, except at night, and then I think because it's probably even cooler, as I'm sure the night-time temps in the garage drop. Mine look HUGE to me, and have an awful lot of feathers... in fact, when they spread their wings I can see down still under their wings, and on their heads, and that's about it. I wonder if the cooler fall temps have them feathering faster...

Last edited: Oct 26, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by