Too good for this joint

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 33yardbirds, Dec 4, 2011.

1. 33yardbirds

33yardbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Southern New Jersey
    After a day of free range my wife's special needs girl, instead of going into the coop with the rest of the flock, headed out back to the big woods and hasn't been heard of for a month now. The hen had a crooked breast and canted neck, walked with a gimp and never laid. I wanted to cull the first wk but my bleeding-heart put the time into it and made the departure hard. Wife walked the woods and swamp for days trying to find her or some sign of demise with know luck. Natures way? I think so, but I would never throw those coals on my wife's heart.

2. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    Could she have been like the elephants. Know when it's time and just wonder off? Many years ago I had a kitten I found that someone had pulled out it front claws and it was bleeding. I got, fed it and took it home. That cat was attached to me like you would not believe. I even didn't. After many years he got some kind of a breathing problem that was killing him. The vets said really nothing could be done. I gave him lots of attention and one day he wondered off and I never did see him again. Only cat I ever care for in all my life.

Could the chicken have done the same thing? Or could she be one of those the hide a nest and she just busy?

3. chickensbythesea

chickensbythesea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Oh goodness, I'm sorry to hear that.

I always find not knowing to be the hardest, but there is some comfort in not seeing her after any tragedy that may have befallen her.
    I like to tell myself there's a lot of nobility in riding off into the sunset, never to be heard from again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by