Too hard of eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by stellas mommy, Sep 7, 2011.

1. stellas mommy

stellas mommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2011
    carver
    My girls lay really tough to crack eggs sometimes. I dont put shell in their food anymore (since about a month ago) and they still lay really tough eggs. Maybe its something in the well water? But I was curious if anyone else has issues with this and what should I do to stop it?

2. nifty50chick

nifty50chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2010
    I am curious too! We are on well water and have the same issue!

3. stellas mommy

Aug 11, 2011
    carver
    Hmmm... That is really weird! Maybe it is the well water!

4. kfacres

kfacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2011
    are they free range? if so, there's a good chance they're getting plenty of Ca from the rock in your driveway.

5. airmechreed

airmechreed Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    Colorado Springs
    Layer feed also has calcium in it so maybe its that with the well water....IDK? Just speculating.

6. stellas mommy

Aug 11, 2011
    carver
    Yeah they free range but we have a super long paved driveway. No 3 1/4 minus or any other driveway rock on our property only river rock. They get layer feed but I asked my friends who use the same thing and they dont have a problem. It must be the well water?

7. kfacres

kfacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2011
    One year, several ago, we had a problem of the eggs not hatching due to hard shells, either that or weak chicks... Went back and worked on our 'bator, to fine tuen the humidity, etc.... and eggs started hatching good again...

Is this problem hatching, or is this problem just cracking eggs open in general?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by