1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Too high humidity! Underdeveloped air sacs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by andrea615, Mar 11, 2016.

1. andrea615

andrea615 New Egg

Aug 2, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    ncubating a bunch of eggs. I didn't have a hygrometer in the beginning week or so. Bought one and I think the expensive piece of crap is reading wrong; the air sacs on my 2day over due eggs isn't very large, compared to all google images has to offer on air sac development. What can I do now? Lower humidity? Hope for the best?? Help

Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
  2. FridayYet

FridayYet Innocent Bystander

Mar 3, 2011
    The Land of Enchantment
    By overdue, do you mean the eggs are on day 23 now? At that point, there's not much you can do except cross your fingers. You can keep the incubator dry until you see a pip but I doubt it will make much difference.

If your temps were a bit low, you might have a late hatch, but I would think you'd see or hear something by now. Won't hurt to leave them in a few more days though.

In the future, even without a hygrometer you can monitor your air cells on day 7, 14 and 18. On day 7 if the cells are too small, lower your humidity. If they seem too big, raise the humidity to slow water loss. Do the same thing the next week, and make your final adjustments at lockdown.

[​IMG]

3. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    If they are 2 days past hatch day, there's not a lot you can do at this point. If they were to hatch you'd need the humidity up for hatching. Is there any sign of life in there? If so, I would definitely set them upright in cut down cartons to give them a slightly better chance of not drowningat pip.

4. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    You beat me!! lol

5. FridayYet

FridayYet Innocent Bystander

Mar 3, 2011
    The Land of Enchantment
    LOL - only by a few seconds! [​IMG]

6. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    [​IMG] I could say something smart right now, but I'll be good. [​IMG]

7. andrea615

andrea615 New Egg

Aug 2, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    I'll try lowering the humidity until I see pipping and super dooper monitor them. Then bring it back up for the hatch. Thanks so much for the responses! Hope they make it

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by