Too high up?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by carajoden, Mar 16, 2016.

1. carajoden

carajoden Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2016
    Cortez, Colo
    So I'm in a quandary; my broody hen has decided to sit on her eggs in the very top nest. I tried to move her (and the eggs) down but she abandon her eggs and moved back up. Now I have her sitting on fertilized eggs, and I'm afraid when the eggs hatch, the chicks will fall as they try to follow her. Any ideas? [​IMG]

2. nchls school

nchls school Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2015
    You could put a higher lip on the nest box so the chicks can't get out, but the hen can. When they are ready you can safely put the family on the floor.

3. carajoden

Mar 16, 2016
    Cortez, Colo
    I think that's a good idea. I've also been concerned that she will go up and and leave them at night. I may have to intervene until they get bigger. Thanks for helping.

4. the poppster

the poppster Chillin' With My Peeps

Isolate them if you can...hen eggs and all till they hatch...then after a few days
    Give the family a nest box of their own and hope mom doesn't decide she's done with being broody. Some will abandon the chicks and return to the flock. So I keep them in their own nest box and broody cage till the chicks don't need mom any more.

5. carajoden

Mar 16, 2016
    Cortez, Colo
    Thank you so much. That's what I have been wondering. I do have a seperate coop I can put her in. I was afraid if I separated her it would be hard to return her to the others. (I only have three total.). Will moving her now freak her out? I guess all I can do is try. Thanks again.

6. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    I would advise against removing the hen and eggs to a separate location - it can make integration more difficult later on.

I let my hen sit wherever she wishes and once the chicks are hatched, I put them in a mini-coop on the ground of the coop. The mini coop has food and water, but momma hen usually takes them out and about with no problems. She brings them back to the mini coop periodically and goes there with them on an evening. Once she thinks they don't need her warmth,she will go to the roost and so will the chicks - then i remove the mini coop.

Good luck

CT

7. kuchchicks

kuchchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2015
    I had a momma last fall that did this. I did put an extra edge on the nesting box. Once the chick hatched the momma pushed the edge out of the. She must have pushed the chick out cuz then I found it following her around the yard. It was not ideal. I am surprised the chick was not injured. I have a broody right now but she chose a box close to the ground. Good luck.

8. kuchchicks

Apr 8, 2015
    If you do put an extra edge on the box, I would suggest securing it better than I did so the chicks cannot fall out. But be very watchful for when they do hatch. If momma gets off the next and they cannot go with her you do not want them to freeze. Otherwise I would try to put her in a box closer to the ground and just block off the other boxes so she cant go in them. Maybe even until she gets the hint and "agrees" to the new box, block her in with food and water so she accepts the box and the eggs.

9. carajoden

Mar 16, 2016
    Cortez, Colo
    Thanks so much for all the help. I love having this group to turn to.
    I have really decided not to move her. I'm too scared of upsetting her. I put a lip on the edge so no little guy will fall off. I will move them down once they hatch and I can see them moving around.
    @CTKen ...on the mini coop, could that be a large dog crate?

10. kuchchicks

Apr 8, 2015
    :hugsYes a dog crate would work. Use it myself.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by