Too hot causes feather picking?

Reinbeau

The Teapot Underground
Premium Feather Member
12 Years
Mar 1, 2007
Hanson, MA & Lebanon, Maine
This was buried in my other thread so I thought I'd haul it out into the sunshine.
smile.png

I had turned on their heat lamp, the temp had gone down to 70 and I was afraid they would be too cold, they're only 12 days old yet. It quickly went up over 75. Was this sudden increase in heat the cause of the feather picking (one buff orp has an awfully red, plucked butt that has been covered in Vicks now)? Do they need to be kept that warm still? They didn't seem to be complaining about a lack of heat, it was just their nervous nellie mother who thought she knew better. Advice?

At 12 days old I would still keep it about 85 or 90. I don't know why the little one wound up with a feather picked butt. Hopefully someone else can answer for you.

I'm glad you unburied that because I have questions concerning feather-picking also. It's been over 100 every day for several days and today was 109, tomorrow supposed to be hotter. My Japanese quail that are outside suddenly have bare backs! Could it be because of the heat?

How do you tell if they're warm enough? They seem fine to me, they're chirping, eating, flapping up and down off the roosts and generally being cute little chickies, and their temp right now is around 74. It warms up in the room during the heat of the day and then settles down at night. That heat lamp seems to whip them up into some kind of a frenzy, and it's at the top of the brooder, about four feet in the air over them.

Back
Top Bottom