***Too Hot for a Standard Cochin????***

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by KaylaBird, Nov 26, 2010.

1. KaylaBird

KaylaBird Out Of The Brooder

Nov 25, 2010
    Sunny SoCal
    There are some baby chicks available right now and Im thinking of getting a standard cochin and a buff orpington but I live in Southern California and standard summer temperatures are in the 90's and get up into the triple digits on really hot days. Will these breeds be ok in that heat? I have a very ventilated coop.

2. mboreham1

mboreham1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    Carmichael, CA
    i am in Sacramento, we get 10 to 25 triple digit days per year, ensure they have plenty of water and shade and they will be fine, there are hundreds of creative ideas on how to help birds keep cool, freeze a water melon, shove a massive ice block in their run etc, your birds will be fine, they will pant, like a dog, dont be overly concerned.

Now if it gets up really high, i.e 110 plus, maybe run a fan out there or if you are wealthy, a portable air con unit!

I have a swamp cooler that i run out there, they seem more afraid of the noise than attracted to the cooler air!

3. tammyd57

tammyd57 Chillin' With My Peeps

I live in Central California and it stays at 100 or better most of the summer. A lot of days 110+.
    I have Buff Orpingtons and some Orpington/Cochin crosses, and they do fine in our heat. I located their yard in the shadiest spot I could, then in the hottest part of the day I hose down their yard to cool things off some. They come running when they see me with the hose, then they run in and out of the water like kids playing in the sprinklers. [​IMG]

4. pascopol

pascopol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    There is a BYC member in West Central Fl he raises quail and he has been keeping lots of Standart Cochins for years.

He claims they have no problem whatsoever handling the heat. It is in mid nineties or more here from June to October non stop and it almost never drops below 75 at night with high humidity in summer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by