Too hot for baby chicks outside?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by stefmech, Jun 8, 2008.

1. stefmech

stefmech Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2008
    American Fork, UT
    I am getting my first chicks ever in a few weeks. I am so excited! My coop is almost done. The coop itself has a door and can completely be shut off from the run.

What I was wondering is this - can I use my coop as the brooder? I live in Arizona, so the temps right now are 100-110, but about 10 degrees cooler in the coop because it is fully enclosed and shaded. The temps at night are about 80-85. I was planning on using a heat lamp at night.

Do you think the heat is too much for the day old chicks to keep outside in my coop?

Any advice is helpful, but I would really love first hand experience.

Thanks so much.

2. S n M Poultry

S n M Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2007
    Riverside,CA
    wow with the temps that high i wouldnt use a lamp at all except at night. I would keep them in the house just in case. Good luck

3. Eggseronious

Eggseronious Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2008
    East Tennessee
    I have some that were hatched Tues and took them outside it was 92 but we had them in the shade, these little fellers scratched, jumped, and a ball took them back inside the house to the box that has a thermometer on the floor that read 90 and they went to sleep just outside of the heat lamp. The house temps were 75. I dont think you will need no kind of heat.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2008
  4. chick4chicks

chick4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    N.E. Pa.
    I would be careful of the outside temps. that is hot. Babies can't regulate their temps for a week or two i have been told. I had my babies outside yesterday and they started panting so i took them in, they stopped panting it was so hot outside. Good luck with the babies. Congrats and best wishes.[​IMG][​IMG]:weee:ya

5. Michele

Michele Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2008
    Roachdale, Indiana
    I am fairly new to the raising chicks, I have only did it a few other times. I live in Indiana and our weather this spring has been terrible. One day it is cold and the next the temps were in the 90's. I have had 3 groups of baby chicks and they all seemed to have developed a cold with sneezing. I have closely watched the temps with this last batch of chicks and I still had a few sneezing. I know of other people who have had the same thing with their chicks. In other words, watch your temp closely. Just make sure to watch the low temps at night too. Make sure to give them vitamins in their water. I never lost any chicks this spring but I really had a hard with my temps. Too hot and then too cool. If I could do it over again I think I would have left them in the house with a heat light to ensure the temp (or atleast for the first 2 weeks) I wish you well!!!!!

6. RioLindoAz

RioLindoAz Sleeping

Jul 8, 2007
    Yuma, Arizona
    Keep them inside. I never let my chicks out at that temperature. Today it was 120* and I had a chick die as well as three hens. Its just too hot for chicks. They are too delicate.

7. jadude

jadude Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2008
    sc
    i would keep them inside for the first 2 or 3 weeks. with a heat lamp. then with those temps i would let them stay outside

8. stefmech

stefmech Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2008
    American Fork, UT
    Thanks everyone for your comments. I've decided to keep them inside. I just finished my coop and I was so excited to use it, but after waiting for over three months for my chickens to be shipped - I won't take the chance.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by