too hot for laying?

JINTZ

Chirping
Mar 10, 2018
Roland, Oklahoma
My hens are finally laying eggs. They are tiny, but I was so eggcited to see them. The temps in the 90's and humid here. I have a fan in the coop as there isn't circulation at all where they keep laying. I'd love to have chicks, it was my plan, but is it too hot? Should I be taking the eggs in or are they ok to leave out. It's undoubtedly going to stay the same or get even hotter as summer has just begun.

Collect eggs until you have a broody hen. There's no point in rotten eggs in the coop and unless you mark them every day you won't know what's new and old. Get or make some fake eggs, seeing something in the nest every day when they go to lay can incourage broody. It may be too hot to hatch but on of my girls did hatched 1 of 2 mid July last year, and that same hen is sitting on 5 of 7 due to hatch this weekend. So yes fertile eggs will grow even when the heat is up, mama will do her best to maintain and control the temperature around the eggs

Collect eggs until you have a broody hen. There's no point in rotten eggs in the coop and unless you mark them every day you won't know what's new and old. Get or make some fake eggs, seeing something in the nest every day when they go to lay can incourage broody. It may be too hot to hatch but on of my girls did hatched 1 of 2 mid July last year, and that same hen is sitting on 5 of 7 due to hatch this weekend. So yes fertile eggs will grow even when the heat is up, mama will do her best to maintain and control the temperature around the eggs
OH.... I thought they got broody after they done laying and ready to set on them. Ok, so glad I asked. She just laid her 2nd tiny tiny egg. Thank you

OH.... I thought they got broody after they done laying and ready to set on them. Ok, so glad I asked. She just laid her 2nd tiny tiny egg. Thank you
Nope they go broody when they are ready eggs or not. It can depend on breeds too as some are less broody then others. I have 1 hen that in 4 years had never been broody until this year. Another (the current 1 on eggs) she's about 2 years old and this is her second time. And previously I had 2 (before I had a rooster) that I had to broody break each at least 3 times in the same season. But the is nothing I have ever changed in what I do other than to remove fake eggs to help avoid bodies aged place 1-2 fakes in a few nests to encourage them. Otherwise I still collect all my eggs until someone commits to sitting.

Nope they go broody when they are ready eggs or not. It can depend on breeds too as some are less broody then others. I have 1 hen that in 4 years had never been broody until this year. Another (the current 1 on eggs) she's about 2 years old and this is her second time. And previously I had 2 (before I had a rooster) that I had to broody break each at least 3 times in the same season. But the is nothing I have ever changed in what I do other than to remove fake eggs to help avoid bodies aged place 1-2 fakes in a few nests to encourage them. Otherwise I still collect all my eggs until someone commits to sitting.
she's laying an egg a day, it's only the one little bantam hen. It's so cute to see the rooster taking care of her and her nest when I go in. QUESTION: are the eggs edible? it's well into the 90's in there (fans are blowing), but I don't know how long it would take for the tiny morsels to go bad. I'm pulling them every day but tossing them. Am I wasting them?

she's laying an egg a day, it's only the one little bantam hen. It's so cute to see the rooster taking care of her and her nest when I go in. QUESTION: are the eggs edible? it's well into the 90's in there (fans are blowing), but I don't know how long it would take for the tiny morsels to go bad. I'm pulling them every day but tossing them. Am I wasting them?
They are still edible. Fertile eggs unless you are looking for the bulleye are the same as infertile eggs. If they have been left out in the heat they can start to go bad in about 3-4 days cooler months they may be ok up to a week but I always worry about temp fluctuations. Is been 100+ here lately and i still save all the eggs for eating as long as I know they where collected same day they where laid. Occasionally I find a hidden nest because I have quite a few chickens. Those nests I toss all because I can't be sure how long they have been there.
Because my eggs are fertile also I put them in the fridge. Eggs are ok on the counter but for peace of mind and become too do give them to family too I refrigerate for peace of mind.

They are still edible. Fertile eggs unless you are looking for the bulleye are the same as infertile eggs. If they have been left out in the heat they can start to go bad in about 3-4 days cooler months they may be ok up to a week but I always worry about temp fluctuations. Is been 100+ here lately and i still save all the eggs for eating as long as I know they where collected same day they where laid. Occasionally I find a hidden nest because I have quite a few chickens. Those nests I toss all because I can't be sure how long they have been there.
Because my eggs are fertile also I put them in the fridge. Eggs are ok on the counter but for peace of mind and become too do give them to family too I refrigerate for peace of mind.
Its topping 100 here so I go in several times a day. I grab the egg when I see it. I hope she don't go broody, I have no back up plan. I've been looking for some local pullets now that I've fixed the attic area so nothing can get in. I never thought about the vents of the attic as being a threat. I just have the one hen and rooster left. So scared she's going to go broody. This will be her5th egg now.

If she does go broody you can hatch eggs that have been refrigerated don't use eggs over them about 7 days as the fertile cell does start to break down.

Back
Top Bottom