Too hot in chicken tractor is summer?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cowboysdad, Mar 25, 2009.

1. cowboysdad

cowboysdad New Egg

Dec 18, 2008
    Yet another newbie question!

I am considering building 2 chicken tractors to hold 15 birds each vs. setting up part of the barn as a coop with a large yard to roam in, and just thought about this. I would be building them and using spare tin siding for the sides and roof with next boxes along the "back wall". I would probably have to collect twice a day (1 morning, 1 evening). But I just thought about this...

Will it get too hot in direct sun during spring/summer/into fall for the eggs to sit and wait for collection? I know that the siding will get too hot to touch some days and I can only imagine how hot it would be inside, but I know that the chickens would be roaming in the "yard" sections during that time, but what about eggs that are laid after morning collection and sit through this part of the of day???

Am I just being paranoid and this is NBD or is this a legit concern? I want to sell the eggs and chickens to be pasture raised/fed. I am just starting my farm and want to keep expenses down so I dont want to put up a lot of extra fences and stuff until next year when I see how things go this first year.

Any suggestions or insight is greatly appreciated.

Dave

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

[​IMG] If you gather them every day they will be just fine.

3. cowboysdad

cowboysdad New Egg

Dec 18, 2008
    Even if they sit for 8-10 hrs in 85-90 degree heat?

4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:Our heat here is between 100-115 during the summer and they eggs are in a hen house that gets hotter than that. they have been fine. Do you have next boxes for the hens? That should shade them some. Our hen house needs a danged air conditioner. [​IMG]

5. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    I would worry more about the hens. They will need some shade and air flow. If you collect eggs often and do give shade and air flow they will be ok. The hens are ok unless they are a bred that does not tolerate hot weather. Be sure there is water and its changed really often during the day. If the hens get to hot they will not lay. Jean

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by