Too hot in the garage?

abatiekell

Hatching
Sep 23, 2015
I just brought chicks home on Monday and they are two weeks old. I had them in the house for the first few days, but was always worried that my dog would some how get to them. It's been unseasonably warm where I live, and my house tends to get very warm. It usually gets to around 90 inside, and it's even hotter in the garage, and very stuffy. Is it a bad idea to keep them in the garage?

Do you have an alternative? If not, then improving the ventilation in your garage may go some way to easing the issue - maybe leaving a door open, windows etc.

Day old chicks need warmth while growing feathers. Temps in the 90s for a week then reduce by 5 degrees a every few days as feathers fill in. Provide a fan to circulate air around their pen.

The only way to ventilate the garage would be to leave the actual garage door open, would that make it too drafty for them? They are in an old plastic tub.

If they are in a tub, i would imagine that the sides of the tub would protect them from drafts. You could consider raising the tub off the floor a little - that would certainly protect them from drafts.
CT

Leaving your garage door open is an invitation to burglars or cats....

Fair point. In terms of protecting the chickens, you could put some chicken wire over the top of the tub. Not sure that would keep out burglars though
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom