Too hot outside?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Eagleman, Jun 19, 2008.

1. Eagleman

Eagleman Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2008
    New Mexico
    Last night we put our chicks (about 3.5 or 4 weeks old) outside for the first time and they did just fine...

I went to check on them now and they are all panting a little and spreading their feathers (to cool down?). They are drinking water but I am paranoid that it is too hot for them. It is in the 90's here and they are completely in the shade (in the cage we are using for a brooder with the lamp off, the whole thing underneath the raised coop they will eventually live in).

Is it too hot for them or is there anything I should be doing for them in this heat?

Thanks!!

2. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    I don't think it's too hot, just make sure you keep doing what you're doing - fresh water and shade. [​IMG]

3. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    I agree. They need to acclimate to the heat and the only way they can do it is to be in it a little. As long as they don't seem overly stressed, I'd let them figure out how to handle it before REAL summer gets here.

4. Lea71

Lea71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine are doing the same today, it's in the triple digits here...blech!! [​IMG]

I put a little fan in their coop to circulate the air and have a few 2-liter bottles with frozen water in there for them. They are huddled around and sitting on the bottles to cool off. Another great idea I got from a fellow BYC member. [​IMG]

5. Eagleman

Eagleman Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2008
    New Mexico
    Thanks everyone! I did put ice cubes in thier waterer so that the water stays real cool.

If it gets hotter I'll try the frozen water bottle trick.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by