too hot? *pic*

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by wjallen05, Jan 15, 2009.

1. wjallen05

wjallen05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    North Georgia
    So am I supposed to take this as a sign that they are too hot?

[​IMG]

(btw, that is a 100 watt bulb, and they are 1 week old)

2. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    yes. Jean

3. Barnyard

Barnyard Addicted to Quack

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    Yes they are probley to hot. I would move the light up some and see how that works.

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Its probably a bit hot, however, seeing as you do have it on one side, the birds aren't actively panting, or piling, and they are spread out on the non lit side, I would leave it as be. Reason being, if they have space to get away from heat in the day, during the "cold" of night when all is asleep in the house, it may get a bit cooler overall, so they may want to get closer to the light then. Looks just fine and they have the space to self regulate so good to go!

I'm sure they'll be out growing that in no time!

5. moduckman

moduckman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2009
    Cairo, Missouri
    Yes, move the lamp up. Another thing, if the lamp is too high then the birds will become more vocal and crwod together. All you have to do is find a happy medium.[​IMG]

6. moduckman

moduckman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2009
    Cairo, Missouri
    Just another thing. Get a scoop of dirt or top soil and put in there with them. They'll love it!!![​IMG]

7. wjallen05

wjallen05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    North Georgia
    I moved the light up to sit on top of the cage. I needed to close the lid anyway, they are starting to use their wings a lot more, and I also don't want them to burn themselves.

I'll put some soil in there, good idea, thanks! It was so cute when I first added the shavings (I used paper towels for the first 5 days or so), they started rolling all around in it, too cute!

Last edited: Jan 15, 2009
  8. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Beautiful babies. I think they are alright. They seem to have enough room to find their comfort zone.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by