Too hot to cook...

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by JulieNKC, Jul 18, 2011.

1. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    It's too freaking hot to cook. Don't have central air, just window units so the kitchen is about 90 degrees without cooking anything, if I have to use the oven the whole kitchen turns into an oven. Been grilling lots, but pretty sick of ribs, hamburgers, steak, etc. Anyone have ideas for something different on the grill or quick and not too hot to cook inside?

2. menageriemama

menageriemama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2008
    Lake Nebagamon, WI
    Grilled pizza. Whip up some dough (no heat required) and top it with whatever floats your boat [​IMG]

3. M.sue

M.sue Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2011
    Michigan
    We always opt for sub sandwiches and a tossed salad on days like that with a side dish of melon or something!

4. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    We love to wrap seasoned fish in foil packets with a pat of butter or olive oil(or whatever you use) and cook them on the grill. We do the same with fresh vegetables and it makes for a great summer-time meal.

We're living in a camper and using fans to move the air so we do the majority of our summer cooking out on the grill or over an open fire with a tripod "grill".

My aunt gave us a small microwave just before it got hot here and we've been using that a lot too, since it doesn't heat the place up at all!

5. TerriLaChicks

TerriLaChicks Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    Cold pasta salad is always nice. Made one this past weekend, small seashell pasta, imitation crabmeat, a can of white beans, broccolli florets, Italian green beans, jar of marinated artichoke hearts, cut up a few mozzarella sticks, a few shakes of Parmesan, & dressed with creamy Italian dressing & chilled. I change it up depending on what I have in the pantry.

6. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I can eat a lot of sandwiches in weather like that. I used to do a lot of grilling, and grilled just about everything -- fresh veggies, pork or lamb chops, whatever. My son loves to grill shrimp by spreading them out on a piece of tinfoil laid over the grill. And I agree, grilled pizza is great, even better if you make your own dough or buy uncooked dough.

7. ChooksinChoppers

ChooksinChoppers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Ocala, Florida.
    Steak or chicken kebabs alternate meat with tomatoes piece of onion and bell peppers on the skewer.

8. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

I use my crock pot this time of year so as not to overheat the house. You can cook roasts, chicken, pork chops, everything in a crock pot.

9. peeplessinNC

peeplessinNC Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2008
    NC Piedmont
    This weather is when I pull out the Nesco roaster oven or the crock pot and put it in my laundry room that is not heated or cooled. I cook a whole chicken or make some taco beef, then I can put the chicken on a salad, make chicken salad or do taco salads, quesadillas or tacos with the taco beef. Some folks put the Nesco out on a porch or patio to cook in it. Just watch out for pets and small children - or nosy neighbors!

10. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    Great ideas, thanks! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by