too hot

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Spring, Jul 17, 2007.

1. Spring

Spring Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2007
    If they get too hot under the direct light ,.... will they move out from under it. I'm trying to get my light adjusted to where it needs to be for them... Just worried that I"m gonna go to check on them and have one die because of too much light. Its closer to them than I want it to be... got to figure out how to get it fixed...
    Thanks

2. Motherhenandflock

Motherhenandflock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Southeast Idaho
    You got it! If they are too cold they will huddle under the light real close to each other. Too hot, they will try to get away from the heat. If they are peeping, eating, pooping(!) they are happy! You don't want them in a draft either. You know a fan or AC or even an open window could give a chill.
    They will adjust their comfort level. They will outgrow that cardboard box real quick and if they are crowed, they might start to pick on each other. Have a bigger "home" ready for them.

3. Spring

Spring Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2007
    Quote:What do you suggest for a bigger pen while they are still babies? How old to go out to the coop?

4. Motherhenandflock

Motherhenandflock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Southeast Idaho
    Lots of things would work to rig up for a bigger area. A bigger box, a dog crate (taken apart, only use one side), an area in a shed or corner of the garage. Remember too, soon they will be able to jump and fly up and out! You may need to think taller or a mesh cover or some sort.
    They need the warmth from the heat lamp or at least make sure the air temp is the right temp for their current needs. 95 degrees now, decreasing about 5 degrees each week until they have their feathers. If the outside air temp is what they need, and you can provide a dry, secure area, they could go outside for an outing. I must stress secure! They can move fast and so can dogs, cats, hawks, etc. Gotta protect the babies.
    You will be fine, just relax and enjoy the chickies. [​IMG]

Oh, I hate it when I do typos.[​IMG] I meant crowded, not crowed in my first post.

5. allen wranch

allen wranch Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    San Marcos, TX
    What type of heat lamp are you using ? If you think your chicks are getting too hot, you may have too high a wattage. Depending on where you are brooding your chicks, you usually don't need a heat lamp. A 100 W light bulb or lower is sometimes all you need.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by