1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

too hot?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BantyHugger, Apr 12, 2009.

1. BantyHugger

BantyHugger Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Ponder
    What temp would completely fry my babies? the temp spiked and i was wondering if i was living in la-la-land thinking they were still alive. Please just give me the hottest you have ever had chicks survive from.

2. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    I've read of people spiking to 110 and still having a healthy hatch. The key is how long your spike last. If you catch it early enough and you can bring it back down to norm.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] I hope everything is ok.

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    You don't want to go over 102 for too long. An hour might be all it takes.

4. BantyHugger

May 23, 2008
    Ponder
    Quote:See that the problem. I don't know how long they were high (about 110). I went to school and they were fine at 98 degrees and when i got home the dumb thing had spiked. I hope they are ok. I was gonna try and candle but i suspect their all dead. And on day 14 too! [​IMG]

5. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    If it's day 14, by all means candle them! Hold the egg still and look for any movement. If they were cooked, you won't see any. You're due to hatch about the same time as me.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Don't give up hope just yet!

6. BantyHugger

May 23, 2008
    Ponder
    I did a random sample and tested 4 eggs (out of 9) and none had movement. [​IMG] They just looked like dark yolks. I did look at one banty egg and it had some slight movement. So i might have one survivor. [​IMG] I'll start over if none of these hatch i guess. I was really looking forward to some fuzz butts. We live and learn i guess.

7. Amador Hill Hens

Amador Hill Hens Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2009
    North Branch, MN
    The exact same thing happened to me on Saturday. I feel your pain. I lost them all. I also had new eggs in with them and am waiting to see on those. I lost mine in an LG, how about you?

8. hoosierfarmgirl

hoosierfarmgirl Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    This happened to our Kindergarten teachers this weekend. They were all taking turns coming in to turn the eggs and everything was fine until Sunday. On Sunday morning, the temp was 115 in one incubator! Don't know for how long. She is miserable! She wants to know if there is any chance...I see some talk of candling. They only had the eggs in the incubator for about a week, maybe less. Would candling show anything? Should she keep them in there?

9. TheNuttyChick

TheNuttyChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2012
    CT
    Hi, I'm new here and I had just bought a Little Giant at the TSC nearby (it was cheap). It got to 123°F now what? Did I cook my eggs? HELP!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by