Too hot!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by KristenF87, May 11, 2009.

1. KristenF87

KristenF87 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 5, 2009
    Gainesville
    Our two older chicks are now about 3 1/2 months old and are living outside in their coop. Recently the highs have been in the 90's and lows in the 60's here in north central FL and it's only going to get hotter.

Their coop is designed with plenty of air circulation (basically, the coop inside is the same temperature as the outside air). The problem - every time we go out to visit our chickies during the day, they're panting and spreading out their wings and obviously too hot.

We keep their water fresh, they have a decent amount of shade, and I've even tried putting bottles of ice water in their nesting box area to cool it off. The next step is to buy a box fan and set it up to try and suck hot air out of the coop but I don't know if that will be enough.

Any suggestions? I'm worried that if they can't handle this weather (in May) that they might not make it through August.

2. warmfuzzies

warmfuzzies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Boondocks, Colorado
    Make sure they always have water that is not only fresh, but cool. Change it several times a day. If they have a run, make sure it is in the shade. They will be cooler outside in a run then in the coop, even if the temps are the same. The breeze will make a huge difference.

We get temps up to 110 deg every year, and I have never had a chicken die from overheating. They can, though. They really need to be able to get out in the shade, under a tree or in the cool grass. Plants cool the air a lot, just think of how much cooler you are in the grass under a shade tree, then on bare dirt or pavement. One large cottonwood can do the work of 5 commercial sized air conditioners!

3. Kim_NC

Kim_NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Mt Airy, NC
    I refill 20 oz drink bottles with water and freeze them. I put those in the waterers to keep our flocks' water cold on hot afternoons.

We also use a small fan in a top corner of each coop to help circulate air and push rising hot air out through a window.

4. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    yeah, it's been really hoy here in FL. Mine seem to hide through out the yard. My run and coop are in the shade until about 4. I also worry about mine but so far they seem OK.I have water several places for them.

I really need a better cooling system in the coop. I am looking into solar vents, they were cheap!! Harbor frieght had them. That trick with the bottles !!!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by