Too Hot

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Heatherberry, May 20, 2010.

1. Heatherberry

Heatherberry Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2010
    Well, I put my babies out to sun. They didn't like it. At all. They chirped and made a big deal, so i brought them in. They spread their wings panted not happy. They are in my brooder on my back porch. I have the ceiling fan on. They are eating etc. No longer panting but it is HOT today here in Florida.

They were only in the sun for about 5min. i noticed right away they were not happy. So I brought them back to the porch. Its a screened in porch. The temp in their brooder is 90 in shade with a ceiling fan on.

Is there any other way to cool them or are they okay in the heat?

2. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

I suggest that when you take them outside, make sure they can be in the shade as well. I know how hot it is, believe me! I'm here in S. Florida!! [​IMG] My chicks just love going outside, and I just love sitting and watching them play. Maybe bring out a bowl of water, or a chick waterer, if they need a drink. [​IMG]

3. Heatherberry

Heatherberry Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2010
    thought i'd give an update. They are doing fine. By the way in a magazine I had read that for hot bunny rabbits you can freeze water bottles and then lay them in the hutch and the bunnies lay next to them.

So, i thought if bunnies like ice maybe biddies do too. I put some of my cooler freezer thingys I keep in my freezer inside the brooder. They are laying up near them. All four of the chicks. Its so cute. So, chicks like ice when hot.

4. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    That was a smart idea, Heatherberry! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by