1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

1. MattalynsBarn

MattalynsBarn Songster

Jun 11, 2010
    Connecticut
    What is the best way to cool down panting chickens?

2. chickenriot

chickenriot Songster

May 12, 2010
    Brownsboro, Tx.
    I put a pan of cool water or even ice water for them to stand in and also keep a fan going in the run and their coop. Whenever I change out their drinking water I add some ice in it. I've also sprayed down the run lightly to settle the dust and make it a little cooler for them. I check on them every couple of hours and repeat all of the above if needed.

In my part of Texas we have 100 degree temps all this week so I want to prevent a heat stroke. (I'm retired so I can check on them often) [​IMG]

3. chuckzoo

chuckzoo Songster

Apr 20, 2009
    Tuscaloosa, Alabama
    I run a mister in my run together with two fans (on opposite ends). It dampens the ground and cools the air in the run.

I bought the mister at the home depot for $10. It is free standing, you just connect it to your hose.

4. chickendude

chickendude Songster

Jun 4, 2009
    Dutchess County NY
    Quote:I just saw those misters in the home depot. I was going to pick one up for our chickens but my wife said I was nuts. So I tried to tell her she could use it to cool herself if she was to lay in the sun. She still thought I was nuts. [​IMG] I think after reading this post I will be making a trip to the home depot to pick me up one. [​IMG]

5. OregonChickenGal

OregonChickenGal Songster

Jul 26, 2010
    Central Oregon
    Good for you! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by