Too hot?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kscottjoyce, Apr 22, 2011.

1. kscottjoyce

kscottjoyce Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2011
    Townsend
    Hello,
    Sometime last night my incubator decided to raise the temp to 103.5 degrees. I do not know how long it was that hot. I have two eggs that aren't moving this morning out of ten. Wondering if the other eggs will be fine or will they be unhealthy if they hatch?

Last edited: Apr 22, 2011
  2. hennypenny99

hennypenny99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Hugo, Ok
    Mine rose to 104 during the night last weekend. I think it was at that temp for about 3 or 4 hours. I immediately turned it down and they all seem to be fine. I think you will be okay if they weren't that high for a long period of time.

Oh and then one afternoon it was hot outside and it made my temperature get to high so I turned it down but I turned it too low. We had to go to town and when I got home they were at 95! I think they were there for about 2 to 3 hours too but that didnt seem to affect them either.

I candled the other day and took out 4 eggs. 2 that never developed and 2 that were quitters. My temp fluctuations may have hurt the two quitters.

I think you will be fine.

3. bluegoose

bluegoose Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2010
    Hello, if they are moving it must be close to hatch time. I have had that happen to but still had a good hatch. so maybe you will to good luck.

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    It is obviously not a good thing, but it takes a while for the temperature inside the egg to adjust to the outside temperature in the incubator. They can take some temperature fluctuations. You may have a problem, but 'd really expect you to be OK.

5. ziggy1964

ziggy1964 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2011
    Hi all I'm on day 19 , just lockdown, I've 17
    Mixed eggs in my incy , I've had a really
    Steady 37. 5 this time round and I'm really hopefully
    , but I've yet to see any movement or rocking !
    Is this normal by day 19?

6. kscottjoyce

Feb 22, 2011
    Townsend
    I usually see eggs rocking around day 20 and it isn't long till they hatch after that.

7. kscottjoyce

Feb 22, 2011
    Townsend
    I was told that the eggs moving and rocking are caused by the chick creating a pip hole. If that is true then maybe it is better that they aren't rocking yet since that would mean they are hatching a bit early.

8. ziggy1964

Mar 25, 2011
    Hi all thanks for that , I guess I could be a day
    Early for any movement , I didn't candle
    But the difference thus time round I got a steady
    Thermostat that keeps bang on temps albeit I didn't rig it up
    Till day two , prior to that I had it a degree or two
    Too low so I'm hopefull they will be late because if this

9. kscottjoyce

Feb 22, 2011
    Townsend
    I have found that the temp going a bit low is better than it going too high so you should be fine. A little late is better than too early to hatch. look out for some rocking tomorrow evening.

10. ziggy1964

Mar 25, 2011
    Quote:I've just seen an egg weeping gunge out , certainly hadn't pipped So I removed it ,
    In case it exploded , it looks like a dead in shell , I hope I haven't killed it but there was no movement and it smelt funny
    Could it affect the other eggs ?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by