Too hot?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by DrFarmersDrWife, Feb 4, 2014.

1. DrFarmersDrWife

DrFarmersDrWife Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2014
    Raymondville, TX
    My babies are all in a pile in the furthest corner from my heat lamp. Are they too hot? If so, wouldn't they be spread out?

They are very active with lots of happy chips and scratching when they aren't sleeping.

Thanks,
    Overly worried new mom

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

Now for the Inquisition lol.....

How warm is it where they are? How many chicks? How large is the brooder? how old are the chicks?

Sounds like they could be too warm. I think many folks overheat their chicks in a misguided attempt to keep them warm enough. A baby chick raised by a momma hen only has one small warm area, the rest of the world is still whatever temp it happens to be outside. They should have enough space to get completely away from the brooder, down to a temp of 70degrees or so---and they can handle much lower. As long as they have that warm area to get to, chicks can actually handle freezing temps and be okay--they're tougher than they look!

You may need more space--1 square foot per chick is a good starting place, and by the time they're feathered out at 6ish weeks it should be double that. I like setting up a multi-room brooder, 2 cardboard boxed side by side, taped together with a chick door cut between them. Heat lamp on one side, feed and water on the other.

3. Cooper Farms

Cooper Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2012
    new sharon ia
    what watt is the lamp, how far from floor is it and how old r chicks. if there r never under lamp its too hot!!

4. DrFarmersDrWife

Feb 2, 2014
    Raymondville, TX
    The lamp is about 19 inches up. It's a 150 watt and here is a picture of the brooder as it for now. I plan on enlarging it in a week or two. The chicks are just over a week old and there are only 4.

In the far corner on the brooder the bedding is not warm to the touch. I have seen them singly under the lamp but never together.

Should I just expand the brooder now? [​IMG]

5. Cooper Farms

Aug 25, 2012
    new sharon ia
    that is way to small, temp the area in the box I bet its pretty high

6. DrFarmersDrWife

Feb 2, 2014
    Raymondville, TX
    [​IMG]

I moved the water up and they seem more spread out now that they are behind it.

7. DrFarmersDrWife

Feb 2, 2014
    Raymondville, TX
    Okay thanks!

If you tape boxes together you are only putting tape on the outside right?

I will also get a thermometer tomorrow so I don't have to guess about the temp. Other than looking hot they seem to be doing well.

How much do you guys hold/interact with them each day? If you don't mind my asking.

Thanks,
    Momma with a plan :)

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    That is way too small and the chicks have no way to get away from the heat. You can see they're trying to put the water bottle between them and the heat lamp for some shade. You need to raise that lamp, and position it so it's only partially shining down in the box...and get bigger boxes ASAP. I'd use boxes at least twice that big, and two of them. Just tape them together at the top and maybe along the door, really doesn't matter. You're in danger of losing birds if you keep them that warm.

9. Cooper Farms

Aug 25, 2012
    new sharon ia

Totally right the chick need a shady spot or at least a spot that is not nit by the light. I put the feeders and waterers in this area cause they should be close to the light until they eat and drink I never put the water or feed under light

10. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I agree with the others. You have a dangerous situation there. Being too hot is just as dangerous to them as being too cold, maybe even more so. What I suggest you immediately do has already been suggested, raise the lamp or move it so a lot less of the heat is going into the brooder. They need a chance to cool down.

I don’t care if you have 4 chicks or 40. To me, a perfect brooder is big enough and set up so one area is warm enough or even a little too warm. That way the chicks have somewhere to go if they need to warm up. But they also need an area that is too cool, maybe verging on cold. That way they can self-regulate and you don’t have to worry about what temperature it is in there at all. I’m guessing that is in your house so it’s not going to be all that cold anywhere in there.

I think the chicks are healthier and feather out faster if they get to play in varying temperature conditions. They are not as likely to get pasty butt or get bored. You’re less likely to have behavioral problems which seem to increase if they are too warm. They will regulate their food and water intake better so they are eating and drinking a healthy amount.

People tend to make this harder than it has to be by worrying about controlling things too tightly. Just give them some flexibility and you can relax. They’ll do the work for you.

I think you are to be congratulated. You noticed a problem and came on here to get help. Well done.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by