1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Too hot?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Slingha, Feb 13, 2014.

1. Slingha

Slingha Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2014
    I had been testing the brooder for days before the chicks came home to make sure I was between 95 and 97.

Thought I was all set. I put the chicks in yesterday and they did the chick huddle for a few hours.

I called an audible and lowered the lamp. 5 minutes later they were scurrying all over the place. I took the temp of the brooder last night and it was 110 but they were sleeping throughout the brooder. I got nervous this morning and raised the light a bit abd now have 99 on the thermometer. They are not running around too much. Mostly staying near the light.

So which is it? Do I go with the thermometer or visual cues?

2. Slingha

Slingha Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2014
    Ps: the temps I'm referencing are directly under the heat lamp which directly points at 1/3 of the brooder

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I'd use both the visual cues and the thermometer to check what the visuals are telling you as a learning tool.
    If they spend some time under the heat to sleep but go out of the heat to eat and drink, they are probably fine.

Also check the temp on the floor of the brooder farthest from the heat light, they need a cooler place to go.

4. Ren2014

Ren2014 Blessed Beyond Hope Premium Member

Jan 27, 2014
    Texas
    I had the same issue. I finally just gave up on the thermometer and went by visuals. The whole brooder does not have to be the targeted temp. Make sure they have room to get out from under the lamp. Good luck.

5. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

The visual due's are very important but I am thinking you might have a slight
    draft somewhere but newborns do like some high temps but I always try to
    use 2 thermometers to check the temp as only one could be off but you could
    be safer by paying attention to the chicks ............

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Overheating kills quickly, so use the visual clues from the chicks. I don't use a thermometer in my brooder, I just watch the chicks.

7. theawesomechick

theawesomechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Go with the visuals. Chicks are living, breathing things, and they will have varied preferences.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by