Too large?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by PAchickengirl, Nov 2, 2012.

1. PAchickengirl

PAchickengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2012
    Central Pennsylvania
    One of my GLW seems much bigger than the others. I never realized how much bigger until today, when I picked her up. (She's not my most friendly hen, hence the reason it's been a while since I picked her up!) She seems to be "in charge" , so I am wondering if she eats the most. I feed them layer crumbles, some scratch, and about a cup full of sunflower seeds a day. Once in a while a little leftover corn, rice or mashed potatoes from dinner, though never more more than a cup or two. I have 8 hens that were born in mid May. They usually get to free range at least an hour a day, more if the weather is good. I keep reading its not good for a hen to be fat, so I was concerned. The other hens aren't as big as she is. Is there anything I should/shouldn't be doing?

P.S. none of them are laying yet......

Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
  2. americanvalkyrie

americanvalkyrie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2011
    Reno, NV
    It sounds to me like natural selection. If you're offering them the right feed, I wouldn't worry too much about one being bigger and more "in charge." My queen hen is the biggest one, as well. She's a different breed than the others and that factors into it. But the boss of the henhouse is for sure not going to be the silkie!

P.S... That's her
    <--------- [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
  3. TurtlePowerTrav

TurtlePowerTrav T.K.'s Farm

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    My top girl is also the biggest. She probably weighs a pound more than her sister BO.

4. PAchickengirl

PAchickengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2012
    Central Pennsylvania
    I knew she definitely looked bigger, but was surprised how much heavier she actually felt when I picked her up. If I can get a good picture tomorrow, I'll post one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by