Too late for baby chicks???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by tjparker60, Mar 18, 2016.

1. tjparker60

tjparker60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2016
    I live in Southeast Nebraska and I've ordered 15 baby chicks... 6 silkies, 3 each of Mottled Cochins, Buff Brahma Bantams and Easter Egger Bantams. They're being delivered on June 29th. My hubby has started on our coop. A friend of my husbands told him that this was way too late to have baby chicks delivered here! Is this true. I will keep them in the house for 5-6 weeks and then will transition them over to the coop. Now it can get cool in October, but we can also have nice, warm fall weather until late October. Can someone help me with this. Thank you!!!

2. sarahandjay

sarahandjay Chillin' With My Peeps

They will be fine! If he thinks thats too late someone should tell the hens who go broody in Dec. Because they missed that memo.
    Good luck with your chicks and have fun building the coop. One piece if advice make it bigger then originally thought bc of chicken math :D

1 person likes this.
  3. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    X2!
    I agree they will be fine!
    Chicks grow fast. My only other advice is to get that coop built so you can actually brood them inside the coop instead of the house. I got my flock last July and used the coop for a brooder -just use large pieces of cardboard to block off corners and areas you don't want them in. I had them outside in the run (temps were in the 90s) at 2wks old (supervised of course). No worrying about transition, etc., because they were already "home".
    Good Luck with your babies!

2 people like this.
  4. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    You're just fine. Not a problem. They will be feathered out in 4-6 weeks and can go into the coop. Maybe even before then as the weather will be warm. They will be ready for winter long before it gets cold, smile. They may pause in their laying this coming winter a bit, being hatched later in the year. And they may not grow to as large as their genetic potential being later hatched chicks. However, they will still have those larger genes in their genetics make-up and when you breed them, in the Feb. thru April time frame next year , they will throw chicks which will grow to their full genetic potential in size. Sounds like you have a good plan.
    Just don't raise those chicks in the house! When they start to transition from down to feathers, they will shed the down in a fine dust. It covers everything!! You can't dust it off, that just spreads it. Everything needs to be wiped down with a damp cloth. Plus it can cause sneezing and allergies , if you are prone to them. Put the brooder on a outside porch, garage, or somewhere outside you living zone. It's a warm time of year and they will be just fine!.
    Best,
    Karen inw estern PA, USA

1 person likes this.
  5. tjparker60

Mar 2, 2016
    Thank you all! What a wonderful group of people on this site!!! Love it!!! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

6. Bridebeliever

Bridebeliever Chillin' With My Peeps

Just as an extra confirmation I live in NW Washington and we got our chickens in the middle of September last year! Had them out in their own coop in 5 weeks in 50 degree temperatures. I also had a lady that worked at the feed store tell me I shouldn't be getting chicks in September. To each their own! I now have eggs! LOL

1 person likes this.
  7. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    what your husbands friend was probably trying to say was if your ordering from a hatchery, right now, most of the females of certain breeds will be spoken for for the season. if there is availability it's going to be a bit later like may or june before they are available to ship. it all depends on the Breed your looking for. Now would be a perfect time to get chicks from the Feed stores! I ordered from the hatchery in January for my April shipment this year . in the past I've been too late and most breeds only had Males available. He was likely referring to hatchery sell out of females. Other than that I can't imagine why he would say that. People even brood in December. Hope this helps. best wishes.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  8. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    I'd brood them right in their coop. Chicken dust isn't fun in the house. Are you getting sexed bantams from MPC?

1 person likes this.
  9. tjparker60

Mar 2, 2016
    I am getting sexed chickens from MPC... no roosters allowed here in town! [​IMG]

10. Bridebeliever

Bridebeliever Chillin' With My Peeps

I got 9 sexed chickens from them and they all turned out to be pullets! I was so pleased because of course there's always chance for error when sexing chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by